Terminal man

Sailsteve

I would like to share a recent experience that I had on my E-36 RH with starting my 29 year old Universal 25 Diesel. For the past few years the engine was very very hard to start. Thinking back, I don't remember it ever starting easily in the 10 years I've owned the boat. It would eventually get going, but it always took way too much grinding.

The main issue, I thought at the time, was that my aging aluminum fuel tank had 29 years worth of sludge and water sloshing around in there. Since the tank also had an annoying pinhole in it somewhere that always leaked fuel into my bilge I decided to order a new custom tank. I replaced the old tank this spring before launching. It was a simple but time consuming job. I was absolutely correct about the sludge and water. At the same time I replaced all the hoses as well. I tried to start the engine again and it was pretty much the same slow speed grinding before it would catch.

I figured there must be air in the fuel line that I would have to bleed out before the engine would run. As luck would have it my club was having some work done on the club crane by a couple of truck diesel mechanics. I struck up a conversation and asked them if they could take a look at my hard starting issue. They knew very little about marine diesels, had never heard of the brand "Universal" and only one of them had ever been on a sailboat. They came aboard gladly and the first thing they looked at was the battery connections. I had all the battery wires connected with those small wing-nut connectors that come on most batteries. The mechanic said, "this will never do." He crimped on big terminals and clamped them onto the heavy battery posts. "Now turn the key," he said. When I turned the key and pressed the starter the engine revved quickly for the first time since I owned the boat. The engine started after a few seconds worth of grinding. He also diagnosed that I had a leaky fuel injector (that he later replaced ). In short, now the engine starts quickly and purrs when it runs.

So, if you're having starting issues with an elderly diesel the first thing to check are those battery terminals. If the engine doesn't get a strong starting current and voltage its going to be a long haul.

Steve

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Anyone with wing nuts on battery terminals should replace them with hex nuts so they can be properly tightened. The threads are standard 5/16-18 which are available in any hardware store in stainless.

As Steve says, using the large lead posts can't hurt either.