• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

The dreaded HBW 50

Fnagelmann

Engine and prop shaft are all good. That said I am only getting about 1 or 2 knots regardless of engine speed. Might be transmission disks -- any other theories?

Ed Valente

Member II
Possibly the thrust bearing as well. Are you experiencing a loss of forward motion as you add power? If so, we may be in the same boat.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Engine and prop shaft are all good. That said I am only getting about 1 or 2 knots regardless of engine speed. Might be transmission disks -- any other theories?
What model boat and engine model?
Yeah the little clutch surfaces in the transmission can wear and lost their grip, according to other owners. While our former Hurth 50 was working fine when we swapped out the whole drivetrain, it was also (just one more) reason to replace rather than rebuild the OEM 1988 drivetrain.
As noted by others, the viscosity of the trans oil can also make a difference. The last decade with it, I had changed to synthetic ATF, but it always stayed clean when changed, and I really do not know if that change made any difference.

More info and also even a photo will help others help you.

Fnagelmann

What model boat and engine model?
Yeah the little clutch surfaces in the transmission can wear and lost their grip, according to other owners. While our former Hurth 50 was working fine when we swapped out the whole drivetrain, it was also (just one more) reason to replace rather than rebuild the OEM 1988 drivetrain.
As noted by others, the viscosity of the trans oil can also make a difference. The last decade with it, I had changed to synthetic ATF, but it always stayed clean when changed, and I really do not know if that change made any difference.

More info and also even a photo will help others help you.
Boat is 1970 e29 with m3-20 and HBW 50.

Mr. Scarlett

Member III
In my experience, a drop in replacement wasn't much more than the quote for a rebuild. Keep in mind that if one direction is failing the other one may not be far behind if the cause is improper use - going from fwd to reverse without pausing in neutral, or while the RPMs are up or sailing with the transmission in neutral (or in gear, I can never remember which is correct).

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
A quick check. Visually check the prop shaft rotation speed at idle. Give some throttle and check to see if the shaft speed increases. When my transmission was the issue, I could reverse fine but the boat would only go forward at idle speeds.

Fnagelmann

A quick check. Visually check the prop shaft rotation speed at idle. Give some throttle and check to see if the shaft speed increases. When my transmission was the issue, I could reverse fine but the boat would only go forward at idle speeds.
So presumably you rebuilt or replaced the transmission?

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
So presumably you rebuilt or replaced the transmission?
Well, I decided to forgo either of those for the moment but know that is likely in my future. In another post, I described what I did under the recommendation of the previous owner. I replaced the transmission fluid with 30wt motor oil. It's been working for over a year now and it works great... So far.
I figured that i would replace the transmission at some point anyways. So I gave it a try. The previous owner told me that his friend did this on a Catalina 30 and the boat has since has gone through 2 more owners without mishap. I told this to friend that is a heavy construction equipment repair technition who also owned a Catalina 30 with this problem. He said he wished he knew to try it. He took his transmission apart and shimmed the friction disks like he would on construction equipment. He didn't think the 30wt would cause any problems. I suspect that the seals may be incompatible with the oil. So i watch for leaks and save money for the replacement. Meanwhile, I get to sail my boat.

Fnagelmann

Possibly the thrust bearing as well. Are you experiencing a loss of forward motion as you add power? If so, we may be in the same boat.
That does seem to be the case. Increasing engine speed seems to slow the shaft (from observing in the dock so no verification from knotmeter)

Fnagelmann

In my experience, a drop in replacement wasn't much more than the quote for a rebuild. Keep in mind that if one direction is failing the other one may not be far behind if the cause is improper use - going from fwd to reverse without pausing in neutral, or while the RPMs are up or sailing with the transmission in neutral (or in gear, I can never remember which is correct).
What did you replace it with?

Mr. Scarlett

Member III
Technodrive TMC 40 gearbox 2:1 ratio.
If I remember correctly it was $1180 CAD and came with a bracket for the shift cable.

Note: the shift lever is on the Port side of the unit, and to go into forward the shift lever moves aft. In my case this meant re-routing the cable and reversing the linkage on the shift lever. The output shaft has a 3mm height difference but I can't remember which direction. It made no difference in my situation as I replaced the engine mounts at the same time - alignment was done from scratch.

Not sure what boat you have, but if the engine is coming out to do this, a few "while you're in there" things come to mind. Like tidying up wiring and plumbing, and cleaning/painting the space. Maybe even insulating it too. But slapping in a new one and going sailing is way more fun. Good luck!

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
But whatever you do, don’t get that penetrating oil on the rear seal of your transmission because that stuff eats up seals. Especially PB Blaster.

Ed Valente

Member II
Curious to know where you managed to source a used transmission and which one.
I just had my ZF10M rebuilt and will be reinstalling it this weekend.
Glad to hear you’re up and running again!

Fnagelmann

The mechanic happened to have an HBW 50 so didnt have to make any modifications. Just a stroke of good luck. Hope your reinstall went well.