• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

The Ocean Race is in town

Prairie Schooner

Jeff & Donna, E35-3 purchased 7/21
OR-2023 1875 sm.jpg

We took a day off boat work to go to the Ocean Race village in Fort Adams, Newport. This is the only North American stop for the race so it was a special treat. Amazing machines. It must be really thrilling to do over 30 kts in a sailboat.

OR-2023 1877 sm.jpg

OR-2023 1881 sm.jpg

OR-2023 1885 sm.jpg

OR-2023 1887 sm.jpg

OR-2023 1888 sm.jpg

OR-2023 1900 sm.jpg

At one point they took the boats out for 'time trials'. Winds were 15kts, gusts to 20. Even with a reef, they were screaming along. It was pretty cool.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
So they all have some form of stack pack on the boom.

And they sail with it installed.

I can only guess it has race value for reefing, there is certainly no shortage of crew to handle sails.

Prairie Schooner

Jeff & Donna, E35-3 purchased 7/21
So they all have some form of stack pack on the boom.

And they sail with it installed.

I can only guess it has race value for reefing, there is certainly no shortage of crew to handle sails.
I noticed that too. With all the engineers they've had in development, clearly the benefits outweigh any negatives.
I doubt there's a pack in our near future, but can one be created for an existing sail or does it need to be designed in while building a new sail?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I noticed that too. With all the engineers they've had in development, clearly the benefits outweigh any negatives.
I doubt there's a pack in our near future, but can one be created for an existing sail or does it need to be designed in while building a new sail?
Ours was built by UKSails, and the sail is completely independent of it, design wise.
I can remove the main separately since the end (and only slug) is bronze and is shackled to the outhaul wire; the clew is shacled to that slug also.
The "pack" does have its own slugs to secure it to the boom track.

Last edited:

bsangs

E35-3 - New Jersey
Ours is completely independent of the sail, Jeff. Bag has slugs that slide into the boom, each side of the bag has a full length batten and three connection points for the lazy jacks. We install the bag, then put on the sail.