Thelonious II Progress Update Video

davisr

Member III
Nice job, Christian. Glad you're getting a chance to enjoy her in the midst of your refitting.

jsnaulty

Member II
I enjoyed the video, too. My interest was piqued by your ports- they are the same ones I have on my 35-3 from 1983, and they are the only ones I have seen that resemble mine- they consist of a metal frame and an acrylic 'window' without a metal frame and are fastened by Bomar dogs that grab a notch machined in the acrylic. Mine are hopelessly crazed and I see that yours are not- did you replace the acrylic? If anyone else has refurbed these ports I would love to know how you did it- I am afraid to take mine apart without some assurance I can get it back together, since parts for these ports are not available from bomar, and they actually deny they made them, despite BOMAR written on the dogs. Thanks in advance for any info on these ports-. They work well, and I really don't want to replace the the whole port at this time just so I can see out. If I get them repaired, the admiral will probably put curtains on them so no one can peer in- maybe I should just leave them as 'privacy' windows.

steve naulty

e35-3 'anodyne'

CYC, shadyside , MD

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Hi Steve,

This will be one of the easiest jobs on our boats. The portlight lenses are held by two screws. Take the old lenses to any plastics/acrylic shop and have them copied.

If you use the common acrylic tints, such as Gray #2064 , nobody can see in anyhow (re need for curtains).

The fixed portlights are a different bird entirely, of course.

See this blog: http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/entry.php?377-Thelonious-II-Main-hatch-forming-Vetus-cowls

Christian
former member West River Sailing Club (briefly)