• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Third reef

Navman

Member III
I had a new main sail made and had a third reef point added. Does anyone have experience with setting up the down haul and associated lines for a third reef? I was thinking of a cheek block installed on the boom leading back to a cleat but that would mean it has to be muscled down and cleated which may be difficult in any conditions which would require the third reef in the first place.. Another option is to run the down haul to the mast base organizer, through a block and run it back to a clutch and then to an available winch. Any comments or suggestions or better yet, photos of someone who has already gone through this exercise ? I'm all ears!

goldenstate

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Some 3rd reef technique discussion at the tail end of this thread:

Baslin

Member III
I just also ordered a new main sail with three reefs. I haven't received the sail yet but I have been trying to come up with a system that will work. I have moved all lines to the mast. I mounted 2 winches on the mast and plan on using some cheek blocks on the boom and mount a winch on the boom. This is all still in the design phase

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Now you'll be able to use those winch handle pockets on the cabin house and dorade box.

And there will be fewer flying elbows in the cockpit when hoisting and reefing. And with three cheek blocks, you can have all three reefs ready at all times.

All-lines-led-back is the rule today, but it involves compromise and complication. Bravo.

nquigley

Sustaining Member
Now you'll be able to use those winch handle pockets on the cabin house and dorade box.
And there will be fewer flying elbows in the cockpit when hoisting and reefing. And with three cheek blocks, you can have all three reefs ready at all times.
All-lines-led-back is the rule today, but it involves compromise and complication. Bravo.
Christian - you posted a trick some time ago involving (I think...) re-purposing the 1st reef leech line for 3rd reef duty when the 3rd reef is needed, and then reversing the process later. Can you re-post or link that trick in this thread?

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Because I have only two boom-end sheaves, I have to rerig for 2 & 3 reef. That means giving up the first reef. It is comic relief trying to rerig when the wind is already up.

Bruce has the trick I think you;re referring to:

Obnote, yes, it can be a challenge to run a 3rd-reef line when you need one.. especially as you may not know you'll need it at the time you put in the first reef. One approach is to run an endless loop of cord (tagline, dyneema cord, whatever) between the 2nd-reef cringle and the 3rd-reef cringle (and leave it there all the time). If/when the 3rd reef is needed, you can un-reave whichever of the two reeflines is not currently in use, tie or tape it to the cord and use the cord to pull the line up through the 3rd-reef cringle and back down to you. It requires that you be able to reach the end of the boom, which may be problematic in conditions that would warrant a 3rd reef, but it does work.

$.02
Bruce

This would help solve the problem of trying to put a line through a cringle which is flogging violently while you stand on tiptoe on the coaming in 30 knots. Would it take all the fun out? Nah, there'd still be fun.

Last edited: