Thru-hull valves ( “Seacocks” ) - the Achilles Heal

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
I replaced a broken handle valve with some help by the guy who cleans the bottom. He used a wooden plug and cleaned while I removed and installed the new valve. He was nice enough to wait till i finished and stick around a few minutes after to ensure there were no problems.

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
Keith: How did you get the toilet plunger to stick to a not so squeegee clean hull? What did you use to scrub the area for a positive plunger suction? How did you push the plunger underwater without pushing yourself away from the hull...the plunger requires a hefty push to create the suction?

I ask because I tried this also last year without any luck! I want to try this exercise again....actually I also want to use the plunger as a handhold to scrub the mossy stuff off the hull bow to stern as well.
It was a bit of a challenge to get myself positioned to apply the plunger. I didn't have weight belts and buoyancy was working against me. At one point I recall twisting onto my back to push upward against the hull. The hull had some mossy growth, but it wasn't too thick and wiped off with the hand. With some kicks of my fins I was able to get myself and the plunger head positioned right. To the surface for a gulp of air, then back down for a quick check showed it was good and secure. BTW, I am a pretty good swimmer, although not so young as I once was.

Or if you have a bottom cleaner, ask him to do it for you and it would be a piece of cake for him.

K2MSmith

Sustaining Member
To follow up from the boat… it appears that I have forespar valves in most locations with exception of the seawater input to the engine . I have now “exercised” them and they all open / close ok without leaking . The big valve handle (sink drain ) doesn’t appear to close to a full 90 degree position from inline . I’m wondering if that is how it is designed? It seems to bottom out like it was not made to turn any further .
Also I noticed that most hoses are double clamped with exception of the raw seawater hose . I just added a second clamp to that one ( see photo ) . Is this “belt and suspenders” approach common practice? I made sure there was enough hard surface under hose connection to clamp to . The hoses all look pretty good but I have no history in them . There is one more seacock valve down below I think for the cockpit drains . I visually inspected it , the hoses and clamps a few months ago . It looked pretty good, but now that I know all the valves seem to be free , I’ll check that one also .
F8D6DDAC-1ED6-4AF9-B591-57079586A763.jpegCF95C7A9-2B1D-474A-9D63-E12578649452.jpeg

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Marine surveyors and insurance companies require two hose clamps on all fittings below the waterline, and most such fittings will accommodate two. Makes sense, because the attachment of the hose to an open seacock is part of the integrity of the hull.

Hoses to worry about are old, brittle bilge hoses, typically the big-diameter one for the Whale pump. Or any drain or bilge hose that looks suspicious, although since they're not under pressure visual inspection is usually good enough to let you sleep at night.

The engine hoses are more critical, since they get hot, can burst in event of some other engine disaster, and are susceptible to failing inside. In general they should be hard to the touch, not squeezable like Charmin, not bulging, not ragged, not split at the end because the former installer bought the wrong (expensive) hose, and well clamped. Some engine hoses have dates on them. Replace at 10-20 years? Anyway, have a close look at them, leaks or weakness are unacceptable.

KS Dave

Dastardly Villain
Blogs Author
I had someone at Fisheries Supply suggest this Trident Series 144 hose for my head intake hose. I discovered later that Trident says:

NOT RECOMMENDED FOR BELOW WATERLINE THRU-HULL CONNECTIONS.
Trident 147, a small step-up in price from the 144, carries no warning like this. Should this be suitable for a head intake and/or a sink drain line?

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
That white corrugated hose looks like the original hose Ericson used. I had many feet of that hose that had hardened over the hears. Any movement of the brittle hose created tears in the corrugations and caused leaks. You might give that hose and any others like it a close inspection to see if they are still in good shape.

I used hose similar to this (or maybe the same) from a local supplier as much as I could for drains and raw water intake.