• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Tides Marine - Sail track

Geoff W.

Makes Up For It With Enthusiasm
Blogs Author
It's a very popular upgrade here. Here's an E27 thread:

@goldenstate recently did a 3 part blog on it:

K2MSmith

Sustaining Member
I have the same boat (#18) and put a tides on it a month after I bought it and I'm very happy with it. Message me if you have any questions...This is an old thread so maybe you got one already..

ChrisS

Member III
We installed this on our 32-2 about five years ago. Super easy installation. Makes every tweak of the main easier. We coupled this purchase with a new main sail, as converting the slides on the old sail was a few hundred dollars I think.

CSMcKillip

I have the same boat (#18) and put a tides on it a month after I bought it and I'm very happy with it. Message me if you have any questions...This is an old thread so maybe you got one already..
I have not done anything yet, still thinking about adding it. My main goal is to be able to de-power the main in 12-15 and reef the main to keep the boat as flat as possible.

I am thinking I can get this done for about 1500.00 and may add some lazy jacks to help single handling.

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Adding my 2 cents to this conversation....I had a Marine Tide Sail track installed on my E32 about two years ago and it was the best improvement made to the boat. Also had lazy jacks and sail bag done at the same time and the combination made for a safer boat, especially for an Olde Salt like me at 69. With luck all of you will get to the age of 69 and beyond so it’s a great investment.

K2MSmith

Sustaining Member
I have not done anything yet, still thinking about adding it. My main goal is to be able to de-power the main in 12-15 and reef the main to keep the boat as flat as possible.

I am thinking I can get this done for about 1500.00 and may add some lazy jacks to help single handling.
I can do this now quite easily, but I do need to mark my main halyard line because with the tides track, the main can quite easily and you can lower it too much. I am also thinking about moving reef #1 to the left side (main halyard is on right) so that I can use both winches to adjust reef line and halyard simultaneously (but not sure yet ?). I still have to jump to the mast though too hook the sail on the reef hook as I have yet to install forward reef lines - still not sure I want to though. it gets complicated with lots of lines coming back to the cockpit with rope all over the place.

driftless

Member III
Blogs Author
My Tides sailtrack should be arriving this week to go on this weekend. In preparation I lengthened the mast gate to the required 10" above the gooseneck last weekend. I had seen Tom's thread about the install and was prepared to go at the mast with an angle grinder, when a friend suggested I think about using a router instead. Great advice.

It required cutting down the tip of a flush-cut router bit in order for the bearing to sit shallow enough to be able to cut the mast-track, but once that was done it took all of a minute to very cleanly cut both sides of the mast track away. Started and stopped the router with it pressed into the slot so as not to loose the unrestrained bearing.
router.jpg
Before:
before.jpg
After:
after.jpg
I hope this may save others some time, and potentially damage from an errant cut with a grinder.

c.gustafson

Member II
I have an '87 38-200. I installed the Tides Marine sail track a few years ago, shortly after buying the sailboat. It's great. I highly recommend the upgrade. Makes raising and lowering the main sail SO MUCH easier.

goldenstate

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
My Tides sailtrack should be arriving this week to go on this weekend. In preparation I lengthened the mast gate to the required 10" above the gooseneck last weekend. I had seen Tom's thread about the install and was prepared to go at the mast with an angle grinder, when a friend suggested I think about using a router instead. Great advice.

It required cutting down the tip of a flush-cut router bit in order for the bearing to sit shallow enough to be able to cut the mast-track, but once that was done it took all of a minute to very cleanly cut both sides of the mast track away. Started and stopped the router with it pressed into the slot so as not to loose the unrestrained bearing.
View attachment 39602
Before:
View attachment 39603
After:
View attachment 39604
I hope this may save others some time, and potentially damage from an errant cut with a grinder.
Nice job!