tough time removing old lettering

Cambriaman63

Never had a tough time removing old lettering. This beaut can be found on my 1987 Ericson...I've tried just about everything! It seems this is original lettering, that is so 'baked on', it become impossible to remove...
any ideas?
19420365_10213793318289860_8041088940952382854_n.jpg

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Be careful, though. A previous owner used some stuff to remove transom lettering and it etched the gel coat quite badly. Suggest you do a test for any product you choose.
Frank

u079721

Contributing Partner
We had some trouble with old lettering ourselves. Assuming this is vinyl (?), we had success using a slightly dulled razor scraper and a heat gun on a very low setting. Followed up with compound on the gel coat to remove the scratches.

GrandpaSteve

Sustaining Member
I used a green scotchbrite pad and poli-prep to remove painted on lettering. If you are not going to use poli-glow it is probably not worth buying poli-prep though. It seems to be an ammonia based stripper.

Last edited:

celtic sea

Member III
I just did this one my 35. I had to scrape the letters off with a one edge blade scraper then tried goo-off for the glue, gave up on that and the name impression was so permanent. I put a disc on the sander and sanded the whole transom and repainted. Turned out great!, picking up new vinyl name and port stickers tomorrow from the sign shop. The boat is now in the water though so installation should be fun, upside down or borrow a dingy. (just haven't purchased one yet). Another thing off the list!
John
E35-2 #413
DIJAN

Teranodon

Member III
I confronted some seriously baked-on vinyl lettering. Heat didn't work. Ended up using MEK. Letting it soak in, then gently scraping with a plastic blade.

If you do it this way, be sure to wear gloves.

tmjkelley

Never had a tough time removing old lettering. This beaut can be found on my 1987 Ericson...I've tried just about everything! It seems this is original lettering, that is so 'baked on', it become impossible to remove...
any ideas?
View attachment 22329I used a West Marine product called Sticker Off successfully. I haven't used it but they sell a 4" wheel for removing lettering.

celtic sea

Member III
I had the same issue on my Ericson 35-2 1975, it was on there since day one! In the end I sanded it off and repainted the transom, the original paint was still showing the name on it. Check out one of the 4 videos I have posted on YouTube I show a shot of the transom and it turned out nice. Good luck.- see sailing dijan.
John
SV DIJAN