transom ladders

Masallah 04

Member II
I sail an E35-II, and am looking to install a transom ladder. Any advice as to manufacturer, type, installation? Appreciate the help, as there are literally hundreds of designs out there, but with a swept transom, I'd hate to play hit and miss.
thanks in advance.... :egrin:
Alan
Masallah

Hi,
I bought a telescoping swim ladder for the stern of my E-27. That was a long time back, but am very happy with it. It hangs vertically and has four rungs. When it is up, it is inverted and the ladder telescopes into itself and makes a package about two feet long, maybe less. I have tightened the hinge bolts "just so," so that when it is up it will not go down without an honest effort. It came from West Marine and was suggested to me by a guy in Fort Lauderdale who has forgotten more about boats than I will ever know. When he says something is good, and this is, it is like hearing God endorse it.
Morgan Stinemetz

dwigle

Member III
Don't do it. Unless you raft up or stern tie frequently, a side mounted ladder is much easier to use. Watch an anchored boat in a swell, the stern moves much more than the side, making the ladder difficult to use. I use a clip-on side ladder like Jeff, although there much nicer ones out there. I removed the stern ladder on our 38 when I installed the Monitor and haven't regretted it.

Don Wigle
Wiggle Room
E38 #8

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
Bosun Supply makes the only boarding ladder I've been totally happy with. Totally top quality and custom made for your order, so it can be sized how you want it. Folds very compactly under the lifelines when underway, yet is the most stable ladder of any when deployed.

The downside is, of course, you get what you pay for. These aren't cheap. :oops:

http://www.bosunsupplies.com/AmidshipLadder.PDF

Art Mullinax

Member III
Ladder rungs,

We put the ladder on the stern of our 29 and love it. But then we are on a lake where swells isn't a problem. One thing I did was add teak boards to the ladder rungs. I used a router to cut rounded grooves in the teak boards to prevent slipping. When we get out of the water, the wider rungs aren't cutting into our feet.
Art M
71 E29

Last edited:

Masallah 04

Member II
great advice....thanks...I was concerned about entry from the stern anyway. You confirmed my suspicions
thanks again
alan

NateHanson said:
Bosun Supply makes the only boarding ladder I've been totally happy with. Totally top quality and custom made for your order, so it can be sized how you want it. Folds very compactly under the lifelines when underway, yet is the most stable ladder of any when deployed.

The downside is, of course, you get what you pay for. These aren't cheap. :oops:

http://www.bosunsupplies.com/AmidshipLadder.PDF

jmoses

Member III
Stern ladder feedback

Alan,

Something else to thing about with a stern ladder on an E-35 MKII.....the aft stay. I have a nice custom fabricated S.S. articulating ladder on my 1972 E-35 installed by the previous owner, although it's useful I'd re-work it a bit.

It's installed on the center line of the transom which makes the backstay right in the middle of the ladder. So one needs to climb around the back stay, then climb over the stern pulpit. I rectified the stern pulpit problem by cutting in a locking boarding gate, but the issue remains regarding the back stay.

If I were to do it myself, I'd offset the ladder to port or stbd to get away from the backstay problem. Also, if you are even remotely thinking of a wind vane then forget the stern mount.

The one nice feature of the stern mount ladder is that it is out of the way as opposed to a side ladder. It's one less piece of gear you needs to schlep on and off the boat and store somewhere - storage is at a premium on my E-35 and I don't know where I'd stash a 4' S.S. ladder. Also, I have a rope tied off to my stern ladder so if some one goes into the drink, they can pull the ladder down and get back on board......ever try climbing on to an Ericson? It's impossible.....Ever try climbing onto a 8" floating dock all wet and get out of the water? It's nearly impossible. So, my ladder serves as an emergency 're-boarding' ladder at my general area of the dock.

Lastly, one thing to think about regardless of the location is the rungs.....I find it very difficult to climb on my ladder with its round 1" S.S. tubing in bare feet. What ever you do, either get steps or flatten the tubing where your bare feet go. Before you buy, just try stepping on round 1" tubing in your bare feet and see what I mean....it is painful! CRAMP! OUCH! *&^%$#@%!
'Nuff said

Good luck.....John M.