• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Trying to identify this piece on my standing rigging.

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
Yeah, That traveler track was an issue that I thought was kept to a solution within my own abilities . I replaced the track with a straight track instead of having a track radiused to match the existing bridge. Which means I replaced the bridge with a straight piece of aluminum channel from Mcmaster-Carr. I filed and cut a radius into the channel flanges to clear the companion way hatch (A lot of work!). I had the channel hard black anodized ($150 in 2006) and I mounted it to the existing stands. I bought a packaged Harken 4:1 Small boat traveler system and mounted it to the channel. What I might do today instead. I would call Garhauer and get an estimate for a complete 4:1 traveler system with them bending the track for you. I would make sure the blocks were not too big! I used Harken's Small boat blocks because they looked the right size and I always see Garhauer blocks that look huge an heavy (imho) for a small boat. The main sail on the E27 is relatively small and loads on the mid-boom sheeting are higher than on end-boom sheeting. The Harken blocks I used were rated right at the load limit. I talked to a Harken rep at the boat show about it and he said that the rating is a lot lower than their design and safety limits. He was right, they were never a problem. Even sailing in SF.

Attachments

• E27-t2.jpg
    E27-t2.jpg
    262.2 KB · Views: 11
  • E27-t1.jpg
    E27-t1.jpg
    229.4 KB · Views: 11

Gaviate

Member III
That is my concern the touching of the lines. Stanchions are not bent. First photo is my 1976 Ericson 27. Second photo is a well equipped 1976 Ericson 27. On both the running rigging is touching the standing rigging. There are only two stanchions on each side.
That is the way the early 27's were set up. I replaced all of my stanchions and lifelines at the beginning of ownership. Vinyl coated lifelines were atrocious, and stanchions all needed re-bedding. I added a stanchion to free lifelines from contact with shroud. I also changed pulpits and switched to double lines rather than the factory single. Even with all of that, I still do not consider the factory set up as problematic, the potential wear from chaffing is non-existent (after 48 years when I bought her, everything on my boat was 100% original). For me, it just seemed silly not to have another fence post to get around the corner, so I put one there.