Two more sailors!

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Hello All,
I haven't been around much, been a bit busy with work, life, etc. The E38 is up for sale, Loren shot me an email asking how I was doing and so I figured I'd share. Gabriel and Michael, born 1/9 at 12:30am. Just to add to the mayhem of sailing with our two year old daughter Evangeline....

cya later, RT

Attachments

• Gabe & Mike.jpg
    Gabe & Mike.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 230

toddbrsd

Ex-Viking, Now Native American
Adorable

Welcome to the twins club! My girls turned 10 in October. It is not as much work as everyone thinks, and no mom didn't do all the work! Except your 2 year old certainly adds some complexity! :egrin:

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Stan,
Funny you ask. I showed the boat a couple of weeks back and the broker called today with an offer on the E38. We have countered and are playing that game now. The decision to sell was not an easy one. To keep it simple I'm going to cut-n-paste some of the email to Loren....

We only used the boat a grand total of 6 times this past season with her pregnant and having to chase a 1 1/2 year old around this season past was extremely difficult and limited. We used to enjoy just going for a sail, no particular destination in mind. That is not really an option anymore for the next few years anyway. My daughter is way too mobile yet has no sense of self preservation. A bad combination. Since we no longer are able to just enjoy sailing we tried to use the boat to get to a destination. This didn't work out so well. Usually it meant my daughter was overtired when we got where we were going or worse we turned back as the combination of weather/conditions and dealing with a 1 1/2year old under way was too much. It was damned near impossible to get her to sleep on the boat and the result was no one was happy.

So the decision to move to a powerboat was made. If the destination becomes the goal then at least I'm gonna get there faster. Currently looking for a lobster/downeast style boat that is capable of a 12-14kt cruise with a reasonable fuel burn. That way the places we like to go, all around 30miles, are a more reasonable amount of time to be underway. That and a powerboat is more like a large playpen compared to the heeling cockpit of a sailboat. It will also mean I can get where I need to go with less weather exposure and a nice heated cabin.

I don't need to sell Ruby, we own her outright, but it pains me to see her sit unused and neglected. I would rather someone enjoy the boat. If she doesn't sell next season may be better than this one. My daughter will be 2 1/2, my wife won't be pregnant and the twins will be essentially non-mobile and sleep all the time like the first year with my daughter. The other issue is also a tender. I will need a 10ft inflatable, likely a rib, which I don't care to tow. Davits on a lobster yacht seem like a great solution..... If the E38 doesn't sell I will consider hauling, wrapping and pickling everything for storage for a couple or three seasons.

Did that answer the question? :)
Thanks for the well wishes! RT

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Congratulations, Rob! Beautiful little girls!

If you sell, don't be a stranger. I might need that seahood traveler tool again someday.

Cheers!

Craig

ref_123

Member III
Not to push the agenda...

When my daughter was under 4, sailing was tough. Many changes had to be done to the boat. Trips had to be short, and we thought ourselves lucky if we did one sail a month... Boat was primarily used as a waterfront condo. If we went out, it was typically motoring, since here in the Bay conditions are frequently unnerving - 25kts is a daily norm. We became masters of sailing under jib alone :).

When she was 4, she really liked local cruises to her favorite destinations - Pier39 with it's aquarium was the best. She also had fun at yacht clubs, as usual crowds treated her with huge amusement :). One time we went to a high-end yacht club for a weekend, and had to cross "The Slot" - area in the Bay directly exposed to ocean winds and swells. Things were a bit hairy - wind over 30, waves 5-6 feet, mixed, but mostly in a starboard aft quarter. My girl was hunched on a cockpit seat next to the wheel, face towars the ocean. I though she was scared. Then I stood above her to see if she may be sea sick (BTW, never happend - ever) or something, and found out she is smiling wide and catching sea spray on her tongue that she stuck out! We also saw a couple of harbour porpoises later, so it made her day!

When she was 5, she discovered new friends at the marina - and going to the boat became something she is really looking forward to.

And when she turned 6, we did a first serious multi-day trip to the Sacramento River Delta. She was hooked :). Dinghy rides, kayaking, swimming, yacht clubs, local restaurants, icecream in the marina office, and - the pinnacle adventure - a tow from Vessel Assist - all sank way deep in her.

So, now she is hooked. She looks forward to long cruises now. She may whine while we sail - a little - but when we are done, she asks when we can go again. Although... Now she is almost 8 and runs with a crowd that thinks that sailing is somehow "not cool". That's going to change though - we are about to depart to Mexico for a week-long cruise in the Sea of Cortez. Will see what she thinks after all the kayaking, snorkeling and fooling around she will get! Also, our friend who invited us to his boat, tends to spoil her rotten, so I have high hopes :).

Damn our 2 weeks vacations! Not nearly enough!

So, in 3-4 years it's all is going to change.

Regards,
Stan

joe-fran

Member II
congratulations on your beautiful family additions!!!!!!!!!

My daughter's twin boys are now 5 1/2 and they do loving going out on their Papa's E28- nothing too long but some wheel time for both of them is enjoyable.

We bought an old 10 foot Turnabout last summer and they love when I take them out for a sail around the yacht club mooring field - although it is getting harder and harder for me to get in and out of it and tacking has become an adventure for me. Also bought an 8 foot west marine inflatable and they will be going out on that by themselves next summer.

TWINS are very special - especially for the grandparents.

Joe from Hingham

ref_123

Member III
While inflatable is fun, try to get them sailing in an Opti or El Toro in a year or two :). Man they love to be in control!