upgrade costs?

douglas

Member I
I'm considering the purchase of a 1984 25+ ericson. It has a 1 cylinder diesel Yanmar I think 8 or 9 HP engine, salt water cooled (boat kept in salt water year round). The diesel people I talked to say because raw water cooled the engine is reaching end of serviceable lifespan, still runs OK so might have a few cheap years in it. I don't want to get into a boat with a bunch of expensive repairs/needs coming up soon, so I want to budget in new diesel or switching to an outboard.
Question is: in florida, anyone have a general idea of replacing the yanmar with new 1 cylinder (engine and having it installed), compared to placing an outboard bracket and switching it to an outboard, and HP prefered if that is done and approx. what a new outboard would cost? (and I assume I'll have to get rid of the prop shaft and have the hole sealed?).

Thanks
Doug

douglas

Member I
forgot to also ask: boat has wheel steering. Was this an aftersale addition to the boat that can be undone? I prefer a tiller. It looks like there's a stainless plate a bit behind the pedestal steering but I don't know if that's for an emergency tiller or where the original one was located...anyone know?
Thanks

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Tiller yes, wheel no

You should be able to remove all the stuff for the wheel, and find a tiller head and tiller without too much trouble.
Good idea, and good luck!