• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

USA FLAG

Saverio

Member III
Good morning, I guess I'm asking something absurd, strange, my dream to put the USA flag astern of my Ericson 38 200. I'm a resident of Italy, is it possible? ever happened? Is it feasible? What documents do they ask for in the USA for my boat. A thousand thanks. Xavier

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I believe that there are established protocols for flying the ensign of one's own country, and where to fly the flag of the country that one visits (as a courtesy). AFAIK flying a nation's flag from a stern post needs to be the one for the boat's country of registry.

When we "go foreign" (to Canada) with our boat, the US flag is on a post on the stern, for instance. In local waters we could probably fly any sort of bunting that we wished, and the local county River Patrol would not care at all. A passing USCG vessel might notice, tho. Any particular reason you would want to do this? How about flying an Ericson insignia burgee with the helmet&horns on it?

Saverio

Member III
In Italy, it becomes a problem to have a boat (over 10 meters) every 2 years you have to renew the certificate of state security, fiscal control, equipment, numerous internal and external controls, even out of water, with a Naval Expert, most of us use the boat on weekends, why these checks!! as if we had to go around the world, the costs have become exorbitant, in fact many have changed the Italian flag for Polish, Slovenian, Belgian, Dutch etc, all this, in order not to have problems!!!

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
If I understand you, and I may not, do you have the option of permanently registering your boat in another country? I presume that you are an Italian citizen and reside in Italy. (?)
(I cannot do that here.)

Saverio

Member III
yes, I'm an Italian citizen, I was wondering if it was possible to register my boat with you, because an agency on the internet mentions, no problem, with the US state of Delaware, lie or scam?

Saverio

Member III
before taking any initiative with the agency, I wanted to be sure that it could be done!!! Thanks so much

agraziano23

Member II
Ciao Saverio. non lo fare. saranno grane immense per te in Italia. come hanno detto altri, ogni 6 msi devi lasciare l'Italia per un altro non EU paese. e' come fossi uno straniero. In America poui registrare la tua barca con la Guarda Costa e' e avere un numero di matricola ma devi dichiarare un porto "Home Port" USA. Le grane sono in Italia non in America. lascia stare.

Dave G.

1984 E30+ Ludington, MI
Ciao Saverio. non lo fare. saranno grane immense per te in Italia. come hanno detto altri, ogni 6 msi devi lasciare l'Italia per un altro non EU paese. e' come fossi uno straniero. In America poui registrare la tua barca con la Guarda Costa e' e avere un numero di matricola ma devi dichiarare un porto "Home Port" USA. Le grane sono in Italia non in America. lascia stare.
Hi Xavier. do not do it. it will be immense trouble for you in Italy. as others said, every 6 msi you have to leave Italy for another non EU country. It's like I'm a foreigner. In America you can register your boat with Guarda Costa and have a registration number but you must declare a US "Home Port". The problems are in Italy not in America. never mind.

peaman

Sustaining Member
Good morning, I guess I'm asking something absurd, strange, my dream to put the USA flag astern of my Ericson 38 200. I'm a resident of Italy, is it possible? ever happened? Is it feasible? What documents do they ask for in the USA for my boat. A thousand thanks. Xavier
US documentation of a recreational vessel is available only to US citizens or corporations. Delaware is possibly the easiest state in which to register a corporation and foreign ownership is allowed. There are agencies which can facilitate official matters for absentee owners. Whether or not your paperwork would be easier with US documentation under a Delaware corporation is for you to decide. If others have chosen to register under other EU countries, that may be your best choice.