V-Berth Step, E381

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
One of the best attributes of the Ericson 381 is the V-berth. The open plan of the interior allows a large sleeping accommodation, with good shelves on either side and a small clothes locker. Overhead is the forward hatch, and of a morning the owner can wake to kneel in it. On either side are opening ports, providing good light and ventilation. There's a privacy door, too, which guests can use for the impression, and that's all it is on a boat, of privacy.

Most of the time the upholstered seat makes a good perch for pulling on shoes, or escaping a crowded saloon.

v-berth normal IMG_9063.JPG

But when time for bed, the seat is used to fill the gap in the mattress, and it's suddenly kangaroo time. The leap or climb is an awkward disincentive for entry, especially if some other person, probably a spouse, is preemptively up there, book in hand under the reading lamps, and already frowning. "Don't step on me this time, honey."

A remarkably simple answer is a step-stool. Why, it makes all the difference in the continuation of a marriage and in fewer consults of orthopedia, the Wikipedia of very advanced middle age.

v-berth step with seat raised 2.JPG

I take credit for the high-class design and teak and holly execution of this small masterpiece, although in fact I just refaced a $20 bamboo Internet footstool made in China by 10-year-olds squatting in flip-flops.

1 v berth stool.jpg...stool.JPG

Nevertheless, the accomplishment is very great, and I bask in the praise of everyone who tries it.

A footstool--who would've thought!

Indexed as blog entry