V-berth workshop

adam

Member III
It's a work in progress, but I've added a workshop to my V-berth and I'm loving it. :)

CAM00301 copy.jpg

P.S. I sleep in the E29's extra large quarter berth.

Steve Wall

Member II
What I saw while on vacation in Kosrae

While on vacation a few years ago, I got myself invited onto one of the cruisers boats that was anchored in the harbor.

"Don't try to pet the boat-locked cat," he says.​
"Ouch," says I.
It was pretty cute though.​

His boat was a center cockpit, steel. In the 42-45' range. Down below, beside the companionway, I was able to view back through a port side passageway into what would normally be a berth, but on this boat was a machine shop.

I'm not kidding.

He had a drill press, metal lathe, grinder, sharpeners, oils, hand tools, etc. He had built, or had built, a workbench that looked like one of those old time secretary desks. The kind with all the little drawers. He must have had 200 little drawers all surrounding the work surfaces. Inside the drawers were hundreds of bits that he used on the lathe.

It was so impressive. He said that since he used so much oil in there, rust was never an issue.

He had been a trouble man back in Germany in a large factory. He had learned electrical, mechanical, welding, machining, etc. and decided that was how he was going to make a living out at sea. Sailing for 14 years doing just that. Fixing other cruisers' boats, trucks on shore, whatever needed doing. We pointed out a few things that were broken at the resort we were staying at and he pondered his next assignment.

Quite interesting. Think big I guess.

adam

Member III
I'm planning to start adding drawers soon, and I'd really like to figure out a way to add a drill press. ;-)