Valve adjustment, Universal diesel

daynardi

Member II
Ericson gang:

After some prompting by members of this email list, I decided to complete a long-overdue valve adjustment on our Universal diesel. Along the way, I picked up a few bits of engine lore, reported below for the benefit of other weekend tinkerers.

We have a Universal M25XP. The Universal Engine manual is intended for trained mechanics and assumes that the reader knows more than I do. The missing bits stopped me in my tracks.

Here are my discoveries:

Cylinders are numbered from front to back with cylinder 1 being the one closest to the v-belt end of the engine.

When facing the front (v-belt end) of the engine, rotation of the crankshaft is clockwise.

Adjusting the valves involves a lot of rotating the engine by hand. Turning the engine operates the seawater pump. To avoid water-logging the muffler, I turned off the seawater valve.

I was initially concerned that the engine would be difficult to turn, but found that I could rotate it by hand by twisting the water-pump pulleys. It is probably impossible to start a diesel by hand but to be on the safe side I pulled out the engine stop. This also cuts off the fuel supply, preventing the injectors from flooding the cylinders.

The timing port which provides a view of the marks on the flywheel is located just aft of the rear engine mount on the left side (Left when viewed from the front (v-belt) end of the engine). For peering into the timing hole I used a mechanic's mirror with an adjustable handle which I was able to prop in position and a penlight clamped in my teeth. A headlamp or one of those mechanic's lights with a goose-neck and magnetic base would have been helpful.

The marks are not as described in the manual. According to the manual, there is fuel timing mark for each cylinder (labeled F1, F2 etc.) followed 25 degrees later by a top dead center mark (labeled TC1, TC2, TC3). The marks in my engine were completely different: first an unlabeled 25 degree mark, then a labeled 20 degree mark, unlabeled 15 deg., labeled 10, and labeled top dead center. The labels were in microscopic script, reversed by my mirror (which threw me for a few minutes). The top dead center label looks like "1C". I assume this is a badly printed "TC". The cylinders are not numbered on the flywheel, it was necessary to identify them by watching the operation of the valves.

Before removing the valve cover, I bought a new valve cover gasket. The guy in the shop suggested coating the groove in the cover with Vaseline to hold the gasket in place long enough to drop the cover over the engine. This worked. The old gasket was held in place on the cover by a thin coat of flexible Permatex which cleaned off without difficulty, this is an alternative.

Several times during the operation I missed the marks and had to rotate the engine while watching the rocker arms until I found the compression stroke of the cylinder that I was working on. Intake and exhaust valves can be identified by observing their proximity to the manifolds.

The engine fired up immediately. Still sounds like someone is shaking a box full of loose diesel parts but the ticking of the valve-train is quieter.

Hope someone out there finds this useful.

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Thanks!

Thanks for all the detail. In the past I have paid a mechanic to do this once on our M25XP, and also noticed little change in the overall sound level. I wonder if the appropriate Kubota manual might show the markings better?

Cheers,
Loren

Last edited:

newgringo

Member III
I am just about to tackle a valve adjustment on my M25 Universal and REALLY appreciate your post. Looked for 10 minutes today for the timing mark port hole - no joy yet. Now with your post I will find it! Thanks
Jerry SV Raconteur Kingston, WA

newgringo

Member III
Valve Adjustment DONE. Member "Daynardi" post above is very good. The points about securing the Fuel so the engine can't fire when rotating and Water to avoid pumping seawater into the exhaust I would have not thought of. Finding the TDC flywheel marks looked too hard for me (and I tried!). I used the Engine Valve Timing to find TDC which proved very easy. Since the Intake closes 45 deg ABDC this equals 135 deg BTDC. And the Exhaust opens 50 deg BBDC = 130 deg ATDC the piston is at close to TDC halfway between these events. Made up a degree wheel and handle for the front crank pulley and the rest was a snap. Also noted that the firing order is 1,2,3. I found all the valves a little loose so adjusting should have made it quieter but I could not tell. You know diesels. Always sounds like big ball bearings rattling around. Runs good.
SV Raconteur E32-3 #679 Kingston, WA

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
There is an even easier way to figure out which valve to adjust. Each cylinder has an intake and an exhaust valve. Simply watch the rockers as you rotate the engine. When one valve of the pair on each cylinder is being actuated, IE, pushed open the other will be closed and can be adjusted in that position. To be positive the closed valve is on the "base circle" of the camshaft and able to be adjusted stop rotating the engine when the actuated valve of the pair is at its maximum open position. I hope this is clear I have described it in laymans terms as much as possible. Diesels have very little or no overlap in the cam timing so it is completely safe to adjust the valves like this. RT