Vang Manufacturer

Ed Valente

Member II
I have a 1990 Ericson built Olson (911SE). I need to replace one of the aluminum tubes on the vang and was wondering who was supplying Ericson with the standard vangs at the time. I've taken it apart and it seems to be a pretty straight forward repair. However, I was suprised to find no identifying markings. It would be easy enough to make a new part with aluminum tubing. But if I could locate the manufacturer and order it, all the easier. Thanks for any direction you can give me.

Ed.
S/V Dionysus

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
"A Vang Good Idea!"

Hi Ed,
My late-88 Olson 34 came with a gas cylinder vang that could no longer hold up the boom by '94, when we bought the boat. I just cannot remember whose name label was on that vang...
:(

I replaced it with a spring type built locally by a machinist that later sold out to Hood Systems -- I have not seen it on the market since. :confused:

As I remember, the gas cylinder version was kind of a one-shot engineered thing. Due to (strictly IMO) thoughtless design, a shackle in one end of the haul-down tackle had worn a hole through one end of the tube, as well. (The gas return cylinder was inside and not a part of the outer aluminum tube.)

You might note that the price of these "rod vangs" has come down a lot since Garhauer entered this market some years ago. A changeover might be worth considering. I was down at the boat today and, while taking some snaps of the gooseneck, included the vang...
BTW, has the SS vang top fitting, inside your boom, broken in half from the up-force? Ours did several years ago and I had to extract it and weld and reinforce it. No worries since. I do not mean to whine, but Kenyon seems to have built everything "just strong enough" and not very much more...
:rolleyes:

Best,
Loren in PDX
'88 Olson 34

Attachments

• vangStarbdSide.jpg
    vangStarbdSide.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 235
  • VangBase on Mast.jpg
    VangBase on Mast.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 231
  • UpperVangAttachment.jpg
    UpperVangAttachment.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 237

Charlie B.

Member II
Vang Manufacturer for Olson/Ercison

I have a 1988 Olson 34 and the rigid vang was made by Sparcraft. I looked around the marina and found a J-29 with a similar unit so it looks like they were used by other builders. I checked the Sparcraft Website and the rigid vangs they sell today do not look at all like the unit I have. Good luck!

jmoses

Member III
High Tech Vangs

This guy makes custom vangs and could probably machine/acquire a tube if required.

I was impressed with his all titanium vang for the recent Pacific Cup Cal 40's.
His attention to detail is amazing. He normally engineers custom hydraulic cylinders and does vangs with his sister company. He could probably recondition the whole vang for ya (or sell you a new one for 1/2 of the majors - Lewmar, Forespar, etc.)

Vang Master - Marine Products Engineering Co.

Douglas Grant
737 Channel St.
San Pedro CA 90731

CHeers,

John M.

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Hi Ed

Ed,

If you have not yet found what you need-give me a call and we can sort it out.

Best wishes,
Seth