Visiting a 1987 E35 soon - engine question.

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
There's a 35-3 for sail in Sausalito. Claims "excellent condition, lots of TLC", asking $35k OBO

bertboyer

Member II
I just think a person in your position would be better off waiting for a better boat to come along that will allow you to be further ahead on the maintenance process.
Thank you Nick. You and others have brought up some very important points and in the end, they all point to exactly what you said above.

I appreciate you and others pointing out that the new Genoa is just too big for our purposes of casual coastal cruising.

In the end, I'm convinced to pass on this one. Thank you all for your excellent advice and consults. Much appreciated!

PS: I see Bruce just pointed me to another Ericson in Sausalito. That of course comes with the need to ship it but it's at least a great comparison example and I may follow up with the owner after my heavy june travel schedule is over.

bertboyer

Member II
There's a 35-3 for sail in Sausalito. Claims "excellent condition, lots of TLC", asking $35k OBO

Thanks Bruce. I believe that is the same E35 I visited in Sausalito and I believe it has a new owner. Not sure why it is appearing on Latitute38 and Yachtworld as a new listing:

If you or others see well-maintained Ericson's in the 30-35' range, please let me know!

Best,
Bert

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
Bert,

I wasn't necessarily trying to talk you out of buying this boat, I was just trying to talk you out of buying it for $40-45K.

I think we've figured out the source of the leak....Many E35 owners have posted about repairs to the winch-holder compartment of the dorade (the part this seller has covered by a cushion in your photo). Search for threads on E35-3 dorade repair and you'll know what you're taking on if you buy this boat. Here is one such link: https://ericsonyachts.org/ie/threads/cowl-vents-and-leaky-dorade-boxes.16943/#post-124878

You said much of this boat appears in good condition. Maybe it's still a buy at the right price. Just know what you are taking on.

bertboyer

Member II
I wasn't necessarily trying to talk you out of buying this boat, I was just trying to talk you out of buying it for $40-45K.
Thanks Ken. I got the impression from several people on this thread that there were concerns. I'm not sure if the owner would consider a significantly lower price, but I let him know I was not going to make an offer at this point, so the search continues.

I suspect you may be correct about the source of the leak as that cushion was wedged in there very tight. Probably for a reason. I will read that thread.

For now, I am continuing my search, and also trying to figure out just where to put the boat in the PNW as every marina I have contacted in Washington between Sequim and Bellingham has a 2-5 year waiting list, and many have restrictions about even being on the list without owning the boat or having it currently moored elsewhere. I am out of town this week but when I return I was hoping to search the EY.o forum for hints about "finding a slip" which isn't the right search term but something I need to sort out before buying a boat.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Depending on how you draw the radius of your "slip search circle" I wonder if Pt Angeles might be in the running? When we moored there for a summer many years ago there were a number of Seattle area boaters around us. They said it was cheaper there although the commute was longer. Great sailing out in the Straits, too.