• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Water in bilge while on jack stands

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
When I haul I tell the yard to deliberately block so she trims slightly down by the stern, which on my boat collects water in the bilge near the center where the pump is located.

I was told years ago that an experienced yard always blocks a boat with the bow raised slightly. Raising the stern can cause issues with raw-water cooling backflowing into the engine.

At my first haul out, with the bow raised higher than the afloat level, a leaking deck fill plate near the bow caused water to run under the starboard setee and all the cabinetry to exit and collect on the galley sole. Took me a while to hunt down that leak.

Prairie Schooner

Jeff & Donna, E35-3 purchased 7/21
Based on my experience replacing all of our OEM bilge hose a few years ago, your boat has the OEM white ribbed hose. It is indeed overdue for replacement.
Loren
Over at the boat again today and the long central hose from the T to the seacock under the galley sink is of the same corrugated hose. So, we're gonna be dragging that anaconda out too.
I made this little graphic. I'm half thinking about making it the logo for our boat.
Can O Worms  2 sm.gif
But, first year with an old boat, we gotta expect that. Hopefully by July the logo will be a Dark n Stormy.

nquigley

Sustaining Member
Over the years, I've heard people describe all possible combinations of configurations from the factory.

On mine, the center scuppers drain to the central T. The outers are not crossed, and each drains to a stern through-hull, however, each has a Marlon ball valve on top of that through hull.

I've never had water enter the cockpit through a scupper, but I figured that's what the ball valves are for. On a long voyage, if forced to hold a heeled tack that allowed water into the cockpit, you could close that valve.

As far as I know, this was the factory configuration ('85 model built in '84).
mine's like that too. In a small feat of brute force and ignorance, I manages to exercise all 3 of those OEM cockpit drain ball valves - first time since getting the boat in 2013! But ... I still plan to replace them ... eventually.