Water in crankcase

Jean Marc

This is my first posting. I am the owner of an Ericson 30+ with a Universal 5416 diesel engine. I have had problems starting the engine ever since I bought the boat last year. I had the starter rebuilt and recently when I could not get the starter to turn I took it out and found a lot of water inside the starter.
One of the post mentioned that they had experienced leakage of the water pump which found it's way to the crankcase. Upon inspection by removing the starter and manually turning the engine I can see that the large gear in the crankcase is wet.
Can anyone offer information as to:
1) Is it possible for water to accumulate in the crankcase from a water pump leak. The two are at opposite ends of the engine.
2) If not what could cause water in the crankcase?
3) How can I fix this?
4) How can I get the water out.

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
hope you have a socket set.

If you are talking about the large gear that the starter runs in mesh with, that is in the bell housing and should be dry no oil or water. The good news is that the water is not in the oil and harming your engine the bad news is that you may have a freeze plug rusted and leaking. I am not that up to date on the Diesels, you might have to split the engine and transmission to get to it but should be an easy repair.

It doesn’t sound like it but check the oil filler cap to be sure there is no water in the oil, it has milky goo in the cap there is probably water in the oil.

Jean Marc

no water in oil

Thanks for the info. There is no water inthe oil. I have seen the milky white fixture before so it was one of the first things I check. That is good news!

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
So, I think you're saying there is NOT water in the crankcase, right?

If so, this post is irrelevant, and even if it is relevant it's a bit obvious, but . . . just to be on the safe side . . . if an engine is "having trouble starting" as you said, and you are needing to crank it for more than a couple seconds, you must shut off the raw water intake valve, because the water pump will fill up the muffler, and then water will backflow through the exhaust manifold into the cylinders. With the engine turning, but not running, the exhaust doesn't push water out of the muffler, so that water accumulates.

Again, this may be irrelevant and something you already know (in which case please excuse my obviousness :)) but this is the first thing I thought when you said you had water in your crankcase after having trouble starting the engine.