Water leak near base of wet locker

vbenn

Member III
I apparently have water infiltrating my cabin sole near the base of the wet locker on my 1997 PSC E380. The bottom of the wet locker is wet (not from foul weather gear!) but not the top. Anyone have an idea of where the water is coming from?

Cabin sole is not removeable in this area - -I believe that the bilge hose routes thru the TAFG in this area.

Vince Benn
Wild Blue

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Vince,

Others will likely point out various possibilities, but one that I would check if the hanging locker is right aft of the V-berth is a leak in the anchor locker or along the side of the V-berth (eg. the rubrail or hull/deck joint) with the water flowing along the v-berth floor (ie. under the cushions or behind the liner if there is one there on your boat), collecting in the aft corner of the v-berth and running down the bulkhead separating the V-berth from the hangin locker.

The reason I mention this possibility is that I had a leak like this on the port side of our boat that showed up as a small puddle on the floor of the head. In my case the leak was at the deck where the anchor locker pan is screwed into the deck, from where the water ran down the anchor locker pan (inside the bow) and dripped inside the headliner onto the wood piece to which the headliner was stapled. As this became saturated, it flowed aft and eventually down the bulkhead separating the v-berth and head. I'm wondering if you might have a similar situation with a puddle in the hanging locker.

If your situation is different, remember that water can travel a long way from the origin of the leak, so careful detective work may be needed to diagnose the source. While very frustrating, I have discovered and repaired several leaks this way.

Good luck!

Frank

vbenn

Member III
I have a different cabin layout. The wet locker is well aft of the v-berth, with the settee, nav station in between. The wet locker is just forward of the head. I think the most logical sources are the head and the bilge hose which is where I intend to start looking. If anyone has replaced their cabin sole, please feel free to comment on what's under it in this area.

Vince Benn
Wild Blue
PSC E380 #22