Welding Stainless Steel

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
Does the discoloration that occurs when welding stainless steel affect its anti-corrosive properties? The reason I ask is that in rebuilding my boom I am eliminating the pop-rivet method of attaching the internal bails and going with a 1/4" machine screw. In welding a 1/4" nut on the back of the bail plate the stainless steel has become discolored. Is this anything more than a cosmetic concern? I guess I could try to polish it but if it isn't going to be seen, why bother?

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Yes, welding stainless can affect its properties and to correct this it can be passivated. There are a couple of methods but the easy way is to "pickle" it with stainless steel pickling gel, available from McMaster-Carr. I have a quart left over from treating keelbolts after they were welded on to repair them. I will warn you that this stuff is quite nasty, it contains hydrofluoric acid witch you definitely don't want on you. Ever. If you only need a small amount I would be willing to ship some to you. Its unlikely I'll ever need it again. RT

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
Thanks. Sent you an e-mail.

Here's what the bails look like:

Attachments

• 3550-BoomBail.gif
    3550-BoomBail.gif
    7.9 KB · Views: 89
Last edited: