What the heck did they do!?!?!

kapnkd

kapnkd
As a Christmas present, our son took the wife and I out for a day of sailing on Tampa Bay while we are in Florida.

I was very surprised to come across an Ericson 32 Mk II like ours as there are not too many around in Florida.

As we got closer, I noticed the rear of the cabin top has been removed from just in back of the main bulkhead to just before the companion way bulkhead!! WHAT THE HECK AND WHY!?!?!? We weren't close enough to engage in any real conversation and it sure left left me puzzled to say the least!

Has anyone ever seen anything like this before and for what purpose?? Wondering if this couple a member of the EYO site and can answer my questions? (There was no name on the transom.)

Hard to fathom that much open boat being susceptible to shipping in open seas in bad weather!! (You can see the cabin top is removed just aft of the 3rd port.)

1969 E-32 Tampa Bay.jpg

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
Bizarre.

I wonder if they're in the middle of a project or something. Like... building a hard pilot-house.... ?

There's a Catalina 30 here in Everett that has done that - cut off the back 6 or 8 feet of the cabin-top and built this slab-sided structure. Not sure why, but it is ... fugly.

kari

Member III
Oh Man! Huge mistake . . . .oh well, . . . .to,each his own I guess . . . it still sometimes bugs me though when I see these things like a great old classic car that has been "modified". Or an architectural gem that has been "renovated" "remodeled". or "updated". Don't mean to go on a rant here but I'm sure some of you know what I mean . . . .

kapnkd

kapnkd
Very possible, but I can't begin to imagine it being practical at all given the galley area is immediately to the right as well as quarter berth access to the left???

Like you said "FUGLY" if that is what they're doing.

kapnkd

kapnkd
I totally agree. The 32 MkII had some classic looks and good proportions to the design. I also question the hull integrity strength with that much cabin top removed.