What's this stuff in my water tank?

Saverio

Member III
I don't think it's just for Europe / Italy, you can buy it on Amazon, it has been used by us for many years !!

Attachments

• amuchina-soluzione-disinfettante-concentrata-1-litro.jpg
    amuchina-soluzione-disinfettante-concentrata-1-litro.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 6

Saverio

Member III
Product description

Agency

Amuchina was born in the 1930s to fight tuberculosis which created serious health and social problems. In the 40s, during the Second World War, it was used in the disinfection of drinking water. In the 1980s, after the cholera epidemic in southern Italy, it became one of the most used disinfectants for the disinfection of drinking water and especially fruit and vegetables. Satisfy all the disinfection needs of the person, of things in contact with the person and of the home environment through the articulation of the range into specific products, specially designed to meet each need.

Amuchina Solution

peaman

Sustaining Member
Finished project; 8" screw out port on the plywood cover unscrewed showing access to the 6" screw out port (clear) installed in the tank:

Looks good. What did you use to seal the 6" port to the water tank? Have you tried over-filling the tank to check for leakage (see my recent post regarding this)?

I might try resealing mine with butyl, hoping it does a better job than the sealant I used (silicone, since that's what the port manufacturer recommended).

frick

Member III
My regular practice every spring to to full out the pink stuff... the shock the water tank and pipes with a bit of water and large amount of bleach. I think fill and flush the tank again, drain it to get read of the residual bleach. Refill the tanks and I'm back in business. This practice and kept my water system clean and health which is darn good and 51 year old boat.

peaman

Sustaining Member
I might try resealing mine with butyl, hoping it does a better job than the sealant I used (silicone, since that's what the port manufacturer recommended).
Butyl tape is the right choice for sealing a plastic access port to the polyethylene water tank. I removed the ports I installed several months ago and the access port manufacturer-recommended silicone sealant was very easy to remove from both tank and port. Butyl tape rolled into a 1/4" snake was wrapped around the underside of the port rim, with a bit extra butyl around each screw, and the port rim was put back in place. The tank was filled from the deck inlet until overflowing at the deck, with no leakage at the tank. A very small weeping at the port-to-rim joint, but not enough to create a problem unless you leave to hose on too long.