Where to live in the Northwest

corkhead

Julian Ashton
OK, My wife and I have been thinking of retiring in the Northwest, specifically Port Townsend.
It has become difficult to find the right home (close to Marina, shopping etc.. and still within our budget <500K)

Since you all live and sail up there can you please clue me in to great places to live & sail?

Thanks
Julian

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Julian,

Maybe you (or a moderator) could move this thread to the Northwest category later.

As to your question, there are several areas that are candidates. Prices are going up, and Port Townsend may be cheaper than some. If you want quick access to the San Juans and Canada, then north of Seattle in Bellingham or Blaine might work as well as Port Townsend. Anacortes is even better, but prices are already high there, unless you go rural in all of these areas. You can always keep the boat at one of those places and live 30-60 minutes away in the country. Mount Vernon, Burlington, Marysville.

If you don't need to live north, then the possibilities really open up from Olympia in the far south to Everett which is north of Seattle.

My wife and I are thinking about the same thing - we have several years to go but are talking about buying sooner rather than later.

wurzner

Member III
I would encourage you to look at sequim, port angeles, and port townsend if you want marina access. We purchased a beautiful view property in sequim a few years ago and it has easily gone up 1.5 to 2.5X. It is 2.6 acress in a gated communinity with untilities to the property line. Despite the increase, the property was so undervalued relative to what is going on in the area that I would still consider it a good value. If you don't want a view, it will even be more reasonable. I've attached a small photo from a realtors website to show what our view is, onl about 250 feet further down the hill. We are also very close to John Wayne Marina (less than 2.5 miles).

regards
shaun

Attachments

• Louella Heights.jpg
    Louella Heights.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 217

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
I'm not sure I would consider Port Townsend... As much as I love the town, it get overrun with tourists during the summer, and much of what's up there is still aimed at that business.

Have you considered places like Port Ludlow?

When we talk about retiring, small towns in Wisconsin keep coming up (no kidding...)! :rolleyes:

//sse

corkhead

Julian Ashton
Our concern about a tiny place is in the cold winters, no movie theater, grocery store, a few restaurants to choose from etc...I guess that is what attracted us to Port Townsend. I totally agree about the tourism though hence my request for alternate places.

I think we need a little commerce and social activities.

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Other Thoughts...

My main suggestion (on choosing a new place to live) would be to create a priority grid, comparing all the criteria you currently consider important.

Those results would be compared to existing conditions as well as trends in development in the region in order to help order your priorities. You may surprised to find out that one of the items you currently think very important is actually lower in the ranks than you thought, etc.

For instance, the Peninsula region (Bremerton up to Hood Canal) is growing at a huge rate (and just received a huge bump from the Pentagon in terms of staffing and funding). That combined with your desire to access Seattle proper (for occasional entertainment, etc) may change your decision about how far up the peninsula you might consider living...

Also, choosing an area that is a little less expensive (below your projected budget line) will give you much more flexibility to do other things, and provide more security, etc. In that case, such a choice may place you further south - toward Olympia, etc...

//sse

Mike N. Johnson

Where to live

I have lived in the Poulsbo area most of my life. I have a small house on Hood Canal and keep my Ericson 27 in Port Ludlow. I can't say enough good words about Port Ludlow and the fine people who run the marina.

My brother and I build houses in the North Kitsap area. Please feel free to contact us and we can either show you what we are building or we know some great real estate people in the area. In any respect, you'll like living and sailing in the area.

Ray Hughes

Member I
My folks have their 140 acre farm for sale, about 15 miles south of Olympia. There is an airstrip in the hayfields, 3 year-round creeks, views of Mt. Rainier, Adams, and St.Helens. Easy drive to the Olympia area marinas.
Let me know if you might be interested. Thanks, Ray Hughes.