Which sail and reasonably priced sailmakers

rbaroni

I just bought a roller furling system for my Ericson 23, and I want to replace the headsail. I plan to be doing lots of singlehanded sailing, what size sail would be best and any recommendations of sailmakers would be appreciated. The current headsails I have are pretty tired, so I don't think it is worth having them redone to work with the roller furling. Thanks for any suggestions. Sailing on Lake Pend Oreille, Northern Idaho.

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
For an all-purpose sail I'd highly recommend having your sailmaker sew in foam or a row of lines behind the luff of your RF genoa. That will flatten the sail when you reef the sail a bit. Otherwise roller-reefed headsails get FULLER as you reef them, which is exactly the opposite of what you want in higher winds.

I'm not sure specifically what size would be best for all-purpose use on an E-23, but as a general rule, I'd get something around 120%, unless you sail in an area with chronically enemic windspeeds. Leave the 155s for the racers. :)

Nate

TwistedLogic

Member II
As a fellow single hander, I can tell you that although I love the power my 150+ gives me, it is quite a quite a task to tack with it. I have never been satisfied with the trim I get from using it reefed. In addition to becoming fuller when reefed, it also moves the center of efffort higher off of the deck. Neither of these is usually desirable. I am waiting on quotes for a new main sail. I will let you know how the prices compare.