Who here is in Seattle and likes good Scotch/Bourbon/Tequila?

Andrew Means

Member III
So my boat Wino Country Safari, an E27, is a fantastic little boat moored in Lake Union. I was recently short-handed during some hefty weather, which raised the issue of improving some of the way our lines are run (especially our reefing lines), for short-handed sailing. Especially because I intend to do some single-handed sailing, I want the lines to be set up to be easy to use, esp. when sailing single/short-handed.

Another issue is our backstay adjuster - at present it's a really mickey-mouse thing with a line of really natty rope that we have to tie in a slip-knot for adjustments when we're "racing"*.

Problem is, I really don't know a whole lot about how it should all be run, or what the conventions are, or what hardware to buy, or to look out for, and while I could likely look it up online, there's basically a lot of other questions that I would love to ask somebody who's knowledgeable and patient.

So, is there anybody in Seattle, especially anybody with an E27, who has a couple hours to spare to help a younger sailor out? I'm basically looking to get a handle on what I can do to improve the boat, make it safer, easier to sail, etc. I'll pay you with a bottle of your choice single-barrel scotch/bourbon/tequila...

*I say racing in quotes because while we technically follow the same course as the other boats, and occasionally pass them, our crew is largely comprised of whatever girls we bring on board, and that extra .5kt of speed is usually passed over in favor of the non-spillage of our crew's martinis.

missalot

Member II
Hi Andrew,
The Scotch/Bourbon/Tequila in the title got my attention.

I have had an E29 for 22 years, lots of short/single handing. I am in Anacortes. If you think you will find your way up, let me know and you can see some of the things I have done. Send me a message. No need to bring a bottle, I have one on the boat we can pour from!
Kyle

Andrew Means

Member III
I figured the booze would be a good attention-getter : )

If I make it up to Anacortes I'll look you up - odds are the next time I make it up there I'll have sailed there, so I can get direct pointers.

Anybody in Seattle?

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
I'm here in Seattle - and drive past Lake Union every day (to and from the U District)... Would love to go sailing sometime - when I can find the time (mid-quarter now - there is only negative time)... :esad:

//sse