Wind turbines?

JPS27

Member III
First, I have sold my Ericson 27, but I continue to be engaged in the facebook forums and continue to seek wisdom on this forum. I took possession of a Pearson 36-2 (1990) with a brand new yanmar (6 hours at the time). Of course, the boat had some things to work on and a surprise or two that I learned about on the trip from CT to VA.

All that to say, I hope a random generic question from a former ericson owner is permitted or at least tolerated.

My question is, what advice do you have regarding coupling with a wind turbine in combo with my solar panels? Or can you point me to recent threads. I have only found old threads. I'm learning about all this. But I'd like to know makes and models, things to consider.

I'm in the midst of figuring this all out (and learning from almost zero knowledge on solar etc.). I came down the coast with 2 200w rigid panels "beverly hillbillied" on to the bimini. It worked. But they are too long and were attached in solid yet temporary fashion. Those panels did save me given some surprises.

Thanks,
Jay

Thank. Pic added for interest.

Attachments

• IMG_0393.jpeg
    IMG_0393.jpeg
    218 KB · Views: 23

Pete the Cat

Member III
Seems like this is a personal decision based on your electrical needs and tolerance for background noise. Solar panels have become much more efficient in size and weight so you can get a lot of amps for much less geography over a few years ago. The wind machines have improved in the noise they produce, but I do not anchor anywhere near them when cruising because they are annoying at any speed. I go sailing for quiet and peace. But each to his own.

Shawn Brooks

Member II
Having never owned a wind turbine, the only thing I can say is to make sure it doesn't shade the panels--even a little bit. Solar panel power output will drop tremendously even if a single cell is shaded. The straps in your picture probably knock out 20% or more of your potential power.

ChrisG

Member I
I suggest you fit some solar in a way that works for you. They need to be secure and safe in a high wind. If you need more power you can add a wind turbine after. The wind turbine should have a brake or some way to lock the blades. Use top quality charge controller(s), cheap ones can be problematic.

p.gazibara

Member III
I second @ChrisG

Cinderella is self sufficient off our 700w of solar, that includes powering the 10kw auxilary propulsion system. When I was venturing down this path, I read that wind generators are to be considered once all available space for solar has been utilized and found to not be enough. I would have to agree. They are more complicated, make noise, and shade the panels!

Unless you typically sail in 20kn+ or live in an extrememly windy place I would focus on solar.

-p