• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Windvane / autopilot question

N.A.

E34 / SF Bay
Update after a good bit of (inshore) use:

* The more I use the Hydrovane, the more I like it, even for short-ish trips inside SF Bay. A Monitor vane would be even nicer there, I think, since it has an easily raisable-lowerable rudder, which is clearly pretty handy. I got the Hydrovane for other reasons, mainly involving my particular wheel.

I have to put the Hydrovane rudder on by hand each time before going out. I have a swim-step, so that is not hard -- I do not turn the boat around to be stern-in to the slip, as I was told I would have to. Despite the hassle, I am using it more and more... I find taking the mainsail cover off more onerous, if that gives a measure of the perceived hassle-factor.

A few comments:

- The fact that it is silent is awesome. My Raymarine EV100 wheel pilot noise really annoys me.

- It works in any wind, up to 30+ kts so far. By contrast, the Raymarine struggles more and more over 22 kts, and especially downwind with any swell, even "in the bay" 2-3' wind waves after a long day of high wind.

- I don't use it for short tacking (e.g. in a narrow-ish channel like Racoon strait), but don't mind steering by hand in that case. I do use the Raymarine a bit then though....

- I find the fact that it steers to the apparent wind -- and so no adjustment by me is required as the wind shifts around an island or something -- to be very nice. Easy to chill and eat lunch without mucking about with the heading.

- I will always want a wheel-pilot though (if singlehanding) for those times when I need the heading fixed while I do something else (e.g. if avoiding shallow water to one side, or a known hazard).

- Upwind the vane works pretty well; by a broad or deep broad reach course is held only to ~ +/-15 deg. This is disconcerting at first (30 deg total arc, which is pretty noticeable), but you get over it. I did calculate how much extra distance one covers (I am not a racer, so only care marginally) -- for +/- 15 deg, you travel only a couple of percent extra distance... no wonder cruisers don't mind.

Anyway, I am quite happy with the windvane (+ wheel-pilot), and glad I did not plop equivalent money into a fancy below-decks autopilot.

Thanks again to all that provided advice on the selection/decision!

PS: For anyone new to using a Hydrovane:

- The resources I saw instruct one to get the boat well-balanced on a heading, then lock the wheel, then set up the Hydrovane. I find this difficult singlehanded -- when I turn away from the wheel, the heading always drifts before I get the vane get up properly.

Rather, what I do is:
- Get the boat on the desired heading, vaguely balanced (possibly even with vane still engaged on wrong heading, e.g. after a tack)
- Lock wheel (P.S: engaging my Raymarine clutch helps reinforce my not-great wheel lock)
- Engage/adjust windvane. Probably it is not in the right position / it's rudder is fighting the mis-positioned main rudder.
Then:
- Observe Hydrovane tiller position; if it is off-center, on average, adjust main wheel to reduce that. Vane tiller position then moves closer to center (on average).
- Iterate a time or two until Hydrovane tiller stays pretty centered. This results in the boat being balanced as they say it should have been, but in a (to me) more achievable set of steps. I can see the boatspeed increase as I iterate into optimal configuration, as the rudders fight each other less.
- If I change heading a bit using the vane controls, I can then (if I'm not too lazy) repeat this optimization to rebalance the boat on the new heading.

Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
a broad or deep broad reach course is held only to ~ +/-15 deg. This is disconcerting at first (30 deg total arc,

You should be able to reduce such unacceptable deviations by sail trim, especially mainsail trim. Reefing may well be required to balance the rig. Vanes demand such attention and sometimes it takes a bit of experimentation to tame the boat so the vane can relax and enjoy it.