winterizing question

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
I actually pulled my sails off the boat when the forecast for "stormpocalypse" predicted 75mph winds in the Sound. Makana's sails are in great shape so I figured 20 minutes worth of effort to keep them from being beat up was...a worthwhile investment.

It doesn't take *that* long to put them back on...

And, yes, it's amazing how fast mildew can get a foothold when sails are left furled around here. All the more reason to go sailing more often ("really, I'm just doing it to help the sails stay healthy...")

Last edited:

Emerald

I'm holding out for one more sail, but will pull them off at some point, but then there's the possibility of a New Year's sail on the Chesapeake if I hold on a little longer - I've had enough nice winter sails around here that make it hard to fully decommission. However, much beyond that point, we do get enough ice etc. I think it's best to pull it all in.

:egrin:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The Soling fleet used to race to Round Bay every New Year's Day from SSA. Light air, hangovers, Annapolis at its winter best.

sixtharmy

Thanks

Thanks for the replies. I may head up Friday to pull the bimini, then pull the furler and main Saturday. That should give things a chance to dry out from the rain we've had this week. I hate to give it up for the season. but I guess it's time. They're calling for a dusting of snow next Wednesday.

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
Another winterizing topic: bilge check valves

I winterized all of my water-system lines the other day then realized I had forgotten something else altogether. I had installed a check valve in my electric bilge pump line (with mixed results). The line was, of course, full of water most of the way to the thru-hull. I imagine the aft several feet of this hose would be pretty susceptible to freezing as both it, and the stern itself are above waterline. I've added "removal of bilge check valve" to my winterizing checklist.

Ken

Last edited:

John McCarroll

Drat that Head!!

I had done a complete job of winterizing the boat and then... we had record low temperatures in December and I noticed antifreeze and dripped from the lower housing of my brand new Jabsco head. I have a feeling I will need to replace some of the lower gaskets in the Spring. I can only guess that the water that was in the intake lines mixed with the antifreeze when I pumped it from the bowl into the lines leading to the holding tank. Bummer...

alcodiesel

Bill McLean
Winterizing...
Some of the best sails are in the winter. I feel blessed that we don't get hard freezes in the southern Chesapeake Bay.

Attachments

• how to stay warm when sailing on cold days..jpg
    how to stay warm when sailing on cold days..jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 125

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I post this every year. Dunno why. Maybe I miss seasons.

Or maybe not. That daughter is 46 now....

attachment.php

Attachments

• Glinda with Alex.jpg
    Glinda with Alex.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 255
Last edited:

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
We sail year round here. The winter winds are often a constant 15-20 knots when cold fronts blow through. I do remove the Bimini and stow the dinghy. It is a joy being able to see the sails without the top in the way.

I cant seem to interest many friends or even the admiral in sailing when it's in the 40's and 50's but I love it!

If any of you cold weather folks make it to Florida this winter, look us up!

Rick

PS Christian, it's pretty cool when you get to walk on water next to your boat!

GrandpaSteve

Sustaining Member
Winterizing considerations

I would love to keep the boat in the water year round, but being 2+ hours away I worry that if there was a winter boat emergency I would be trying to travel to the boat in the worst road conditions. If I was an hour or less away I would be more likely to risk it. Do I worry too much?

JPS27

Member III
winter winds

I just heard a bluegrass tune on the radio last night called "you cain't reason with a cold hard wind." [insert southern accent]. That may be true in life and love, but maybe not so true for sailors. Sorry, I couldn't resist sharing...seems tangentially related to the thread topic.