Winters coming

Wolfy189

Member I
Last year I enjoyed the luxury of indoor heated storage for my 1972 E29 (I purchased the boat already in storage). This year I plan to cradle her outside. The yard will winterize the engine and I will winterize the other water lines. My question is this, what are some reasonable and reusable alternatives to shrink wrapping. I am in Michigan along the lake shore of Lk Michigan so freezing, blowing, heavy snow is a certainty. Thanks in advance for your responses. Jon

Walter Pearson

Member III
I guess 'reasonable' will be a variable. I had no cover for the first couple of years and did not like the effects - mostly the problems with the freeze/thaw cycles in scuppers, etc. I then fought with wood frames and reinforced plastic tarps for a few years. Because I reinforced with fabric the tie-down points and cuts for stays, etc., and kept it all nice and taught, I got several years of use with them. My desire was for a Fairclough system, but they did not make one for the E27. So it was with much effort that I made my own framework for that style cover. I had a local sailmaker sew the actual cover and have since added more tie points, vents, and a more accessible 'door' opening. I wish now I had made the investment sooner.

Boom tents are used quite a bit in my area (south shore Lake Superior), but they don't give me the features I wanted. With my cover, I have room underneath to actually do some work on the boat in the iffy spring weather. It puts no stress on lifeline stanchions and better yet, doesn't require their removal. Since it is not supported by the boom, it works equally well whether the mast is stepped or unstepped. I have a metal conduit frame which is compact enough to get most of it on board before haulout which saves a lot of hauling up the ladder.

Whatever you do, keep things well-supported and not able to flap in the wind or retain snow load. When I look around at the covers in the fall, I can usually predict which ones will be in tatters by spring. Cover Frame 01 (2).jpgOct2007 02.jpg

Walter Pearson

Wolfy189

Member I
Thanks Walter. Your cover is awesome! May I ask what the total costs were? How does the frame attach to the boat? I'm way behind the power curve to accomplish something like that for this year but I can see myself making an investment for what you have. This spring I suspect my make shift cover will be one of the tattered ones! Hopefully it'll be better than nothing! Jon Clark South Haven, Michigan

Walter Pearson

Member III
Cover details

In 2005, the cover cost me $2500 and materials for the homemade frame added another $450. At the time, the complete Fairclough system for an E28 including shipping was quoted at $3300. I just did not want to spend that much and still have to modify the frame and cover to fit my E27 - and I have that disease that just makes me want to see if I can do it another way. For the most part, the framework just sits on the deck with rubber feet on the lower end of each conduit leg/rafter. The lower, wooden slats (taped to the vertical portion of the leg/rafters) end up also taped to the stern rail and bow pulpit. I do tie the ridge conduit of the frame down to the mast step before rolling out the cover in case a wind gust should hit before it is completely tied down.

Mort Fligelman

Member III
Winter Cover

Wolfey

My winter cover for my 35-3 was made last year by Sterling Beimfohr, Sterling Sails here in Chicago.

Complete with frame $3000.00......Awesome job......he has made covers for my previous boats....always excellent

Phone number 773-523-4449......

Wolfy189

Member I
Thanks Mort. Did you see what Walter made for his E 27 in this thread? Is the one that was made for your E35-3 similar to his? Walter's is very impressive. Did your manufactureer develope a frame system as well for the $3k? I like the idea of having it be a one stop purchasing experience. The $3k price of yours is right there with Walter's cost. Thanks again for the #'s Jon