• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

1976 E 32 head valve repair

jsingle

Recently the water intake valve began leaking water into bowl. Must now shut off main valve to keep water out. Anyone have a clue as to make and model of this year boats head? Suggestions on replacing/repairing valve?

tenders

Innocent Bystander
As long as the bowl isn't cracked and the manufacturer is still in business, heads are highly repairable/rebuildable, if you want to take the time. The manufacturers sell rebuild kits. The model name is probably on the head somewhere. I had a Raritan PH II (doubt it was OEM), and currently have some sort of a Groco.

Glyn Judson

Head repair or replacement?

Dear Mr. jsingle, Before running out to by a replacement valve (or pump assembly) for your as yet unnamed head, and if you live near a consignment chandlery, consider replacing the entire head with either a used Wilcox Crittenden Skipper or a used Groco K-H head. Both of them are at the top of the list as best in quality and the beauty is that in both cases, one can buy individual replacement parts as opposed to being forced into a very pricey repair kit or replacement pump assembly of a lesser quality head. As in the case of my K-H, I picked it up at Minney's for $60.00 and only replaced a couple of rubber gaskets and one flapper valve which, if memory serves, cost me less than $25.00. This head and the Skipper are bulletproof. My head even has a set of rings that fit the 3" piston just like an automobile engine would have, I swear. I actually bought a second K-H for a friend and paid $45.00 plus pocket change for a handful of replacement parts. I've had the K-H in the boat for almost 15 years and have never had a single moments trouble with it. It's my guess that items like the brand of heads Ericson fitted when new were not of the highest quality (spell cost) but in their defense, not the worst either. So right now might be the time to get rid of that head instead of fixing it. Best of luck, Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

jsingle

Raritan Head

Thanks to all for your reponse. A very valid point about buying individual parts. I found my Raritan, Groco and others with individual parts and parts exposion drawings to help identify what is needed.

I believe a small ball in the system may have cracked and fro a couple of bucks we can fix it.

Thanks again for all the very positive reponse.