1984 E35-3 thru hull size?

JoeH

Member I
Just wondering if any of you other 35-3 owners out there know the size of the Marelon engine fresh water intake valve off hand? I didn't write it down and need the size so I can order several things at once. I looked thru the specs, owners manual and did a search, ....no luck.
1984 35-3 hull #185 "Freia"
Thanks,
Joe

Last edited:

fool

Member III
The one under the sink? On mine valve is 3/4" although it looks like it reduces into a 1/2 inch elbow before joining up with the hose and heading off toward the engine compartment.

JoeH

Member I
The one under the sink? On mine valve is 3/4" although it looks like it reduces into a 1/2 inch elbow before joining up with the hose and heading off toward the engine compartment.

Yes, under the galley sink. I have two different sizes there.
The larger one I would like to order.
It's for the raw water intake.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Yes, under the galley sink. I have two different sizes there.
The larger one I would like to order.
It's for the raw water intake.

In 1988 EY put the engine intake sea cock under our galley sink. Then they had to bore several holes in our partial TAFG to route the hose (rather laboriously) back to an exit point in the molded bed log on the port side below the pump. Perhaps someone was obsessed with putting the engine water intake in that area on all EY boats? :rolleyes:

Anyhow, I moved it back under the front of the aft cabin berth, where there was also decent room for a Groco strainer. The hose goes up that port side of the engine compartment and makes a pretty straight path to the pump.

The only thru hull fitting under our galley sink since then is the drain hose. Per good advice here, it gets replaced about every 5 years. :0
And yes that valve is closed any time we are off the boat.

I would guess that these smaller thru hull fittings are 3/4".

fool

Member III
I have four marelon valves under there:

1/2" that is for the salt water sink foot pump and doubles as the ice box drain through the same whale foot pump. Flipping a variety of valves distinguishes which gets routed.

The afore mentioned 3/4 that gets stepped down to 1/2 inch on the way to the heat exchanger.

A 1 1/4 that is the sink drain.

A 1 1/4 with a really weird step down bronze elbow that goes to the two inner cockpit skuppers. Why they routed them down here I have no idea. The other two outer scuppers drain off the stern through crossed hoses and on opposite sides of the ship.

Thanks for the reminder to "work" the valves, a chore i'd just as soon neglect. If you have only two... I have no clue.

Glyn Judson

Engine fresh water seacock size.

Joe and all, Over 22 years ago one of the things on the "to do " list was to change all the gate valves to bronze seacocks and to enlarge the raw water intake to 3/4" from the factory 1/2" in our E31. It turns out that at the time I couldn't even find a 1/2"seacock anywhere which became that much more an incentive to enlarge it to 3/4" not to mention possible better engine cooling. It would be interesting to know when the factory switched over to seacocks, be they bronze or Marelon. Hard stats anyone? Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey CA

JoeH

Member I
I finally got back to the boat. Mine are the same as yours.
The one that broke was for the sink drain, not the engine intake as
I had eroniously remembered.
Thanks to all for your responses.
I have four marelon valves under there:

1/2" that is for the salt water sink foot pump and doubles as the ice box drain through the same whale foot pump. Flipping a variety of valves distinguishes which gets routed.

The afore mentioned 3/4 that gets stepped down to 1/2 inch on the way to the heat exchanger.

A 1 1/4 that is the sink drain.

A 1 1/4 with a really weird step down bronze elbow that goes to the two inner cockpit skuppers. Why they routed them down here I have no idea. The other two outer scuppers drain off the stern through crossed hoses and on opposite sides of the ship.

Thanks for the reminder to "work" the valves, a chore i'd just as soon neglect. If you have only two... I have no clue.