1987 32-3 fuel tank problem

gulfcoaster

Member III
Checked on the boat yesterday and found a bit of fuel in the bilge. Checked all the visible connections and engine compartment and couldn't find anything red. I tend to think I have a pin hole in my original fuel tank. The tank is only half full. Anyone deal with this model with a fuel tank problem before? Any advice would be appreciated.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Looking for water in All the Wrong Places...

In general, old fuel tanks are subject to corrosion on the inside from small amounts of water that collect in the lowest portion of the tank. This is normally at a corner welded seam, usually at one end where three welds come together.
Either the tank has condensation that has slowly accumulated or (much more likely) has been receiving water from the deck fill. If the O-ring on the deck fill is in good condition, there is also a chance that some water was introduced from the source/fuel dock.

At this age, the factory tank is ripe for removal and inspection. If there was no inspection port, this is the time to install one. There is a good chance that the wall thickness of the old tank is below the standard today... and that will complicate welding in a patch and putting in an inspection plate.

Once you have it out, you will very likely be looking at replacement, in any case.
"While you're there" you should replace the fill hose, the vent hose, and the fuel lines to and from the engine too.

When we did this for our '88 boat, we went to a new tank with a baffle, two inspection plates, and an electronic sender for a remote fuel gauge. Note that our original tank had no leaks, but was, IMHO, quite undersized for our boat. There was room for a custom designed new tank with more gallonage and we are extremely happy with that upgrade. That project with photos is on this site.

Good luck,
Loren

Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
if there is an inspection port, like mine, it needs to be snugged or can weep on top of the tank and run into the bilge. Check the deck fill hose connection to the tank, which I recall being inaccessible.

I am surprised if there is something gone bad with your factory tank, which in my '85 was heavy alum and got good surveyor reviews. But then....

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
Did you or the previous owner dump fuel in the bilge changing filters or bleeding the system maybe?

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
I would double check all hoses, copper lines, and connections. The tank is the least likely failure. I've had leaks in the fill hose and the copper line feeding the primary filter on my E-34.

Steel tanks are another story.

gulfcoaster

Member III
We've owned the boat for 15 yrs.

I checked all around the engine and both filters. It's been 11 months since I changed filters and haven't refueled since May. The tank is 2/3's full. I think I narrowed the problem to the tank. Someone in our marina has a 32-3 same year. He pulled his tank and it had a small hole at its lowest point. A welding shop fixed it for $100 bucks. I'll advise as this progresses.

gulfcoaster

Member III
Progress Report..

As per previous posts. Berry Sheet Metal manufactured the tank. The date on it says 8/86. I called them in California and was advised they had two prints. One dated 1984 and one dated 1988. I'm assuming the latter was for the 32-200 series (21 gal). They quoted $350.00 plus shipping. He said approx. $500 total. I got a tip from a guy here in Houston. I took it to a radiator shop. They chemically cleaned the interior, viewed the interior, rewelded the corroded part and pressure tested the tank. The leak was at the deepest part of the tank due to water accumulation. The inside now looks new. The cost was $160.00. I Intend to replace a couple of the hoses and re-install tomorrow. This tank had two bars to hold it in place above the tank. There was nothing to secure the tank front/aft. Kinda strange. The fuel fill and vent hose were the only prevention to hold the tank from sliding forward. It hasn't moved in 28 yrs so I guess that is ok. I replaced the holding tank 2 yrs ago. Ronco in florida had the original prints for that project. $150.00. I'll post a final summation when completed.

gulfcoaster

Member III
Project Complete

As per previous posts. Berry Sheet Metal manufactured the tank. The date on it says 8/86. I called them in California and was advised they had two prints. One dated 1984 and one dated 1988. I'm assuming the latter was for the 32-200 series (21 gal). They quoted $350.00 plus shipping. He said approx. $500 total. I got a tip from a guy here in Houston. I took it to a radiator shop. They chemically cleaned the interior, viewed the interior, rewelded the corroded part and pressure tested the tank. The leak was at the deepest part of the tank due to water accumulation. The inside now looks new. The cost was $160.00. I Intend to replace a couple of the hoses and re-install tomorrow. This tank had two bars to hold it in place above the tank. There was nothing to secure the tank front/aft. Kinda strange. The fuel fill and vent hose were the only prevention to hold the tank from sliding forward. It hasn't moved in 28 yrs so I guess that is ok. I replaced the holding tank 2 yrs ago. Ronco in florida had the original prints for that project. $150.00. I'll post a final summation when completed.

I installed the tank and everything is fine. I also replaced one fuel hose from the pick-up tube to the new racor filter. Also replaced the secondary filter on the engine and changed the oil and filter. Hopefully that is it for a while.