27' cockpit drain with cutaway transom

john_keating

Hi does anyone know why the cockpit drain would be routed through cockpit sole and then to thru hull. I dont like the idea of a hose hidden away which could easily be leaking into the bilge. I plan on draining cockpit through the transom at my upcoming yard period.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Well... if it's about like the 29, that won't make any difference except you'll have more water in the cockpit and a hose that's even more difficult to access. The transom is hollow and about 5" deep. It's pretty tight to fit two through-hulls and a hose in that space (doing it for the propane locker, myself.) At least the one in the sole has a nice sump. (AKA The escaped screw and nut disposal unit.)

I did end up putting a deck plate in the transom, when I changed the traveller. There are just too many inaccessible fasteners in there. (Did they install these things before the liner was dropped into the hull :confused: Trained monkeys :confused: )

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
A lot of the E-27 models were built with a transom cutout for an OB motor. That also provided a great way for errant water to drain out. Of course the "lip" where the motor clamped on would still be several inches above the sole. So a drain at the sole level is still needed.

Installing a sole-level horizontal drain would be a bit of a project as noted here.

Loren

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Dont mess around with thru hulls. Glass a piece of G10 pipe permanently internally. I don't have pics handy but check the plasticclassic forum under projects, Ericson 27 Project for a description of how i did it. The pipe run is short enough that no additional support is needed. Its a days worth of work when hauled out but you'll never worry about it again. Good luck.

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoex...9-Cockpit-scupper-on-E27-with-cutaway-transom

Last edited: