3 items...

rhewitt

Member II
Hi Guys,

On an 88 E-34 the push button battery ignition/starter switch has gone bad.
My man here replaced it with a three position AUTO type key switch and it worked for a while and then it is hard to turn and when heeled it only starts on port tack. Question is has any one replaced switch with a 3 way key and if so why does it only work on port tack or level at rest. Any input... is there a Better 3 way made for Marine?

I have a raymarine auto-pilot wheel drive 400 with the gray plastic housing.
It started to squeak/squeal about 3 months ago and I have shot wd40 around and in it but will not stop. It has been the dry season down here with NO rain or moisture for over 5 months. What do you think is the cause of this and how to stop it?

The mast/deck light (black) is out... sent a man up and got blub, looks like a BIG fuse. It was dropped and broke but numbers on it look like aas23 12 v.
Does anyone have this light and what blub is right and where can I get a replacement?

Thanks as always,

Ralph

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Switch idea

The panel on our '88 once had a key switch on the lower right. On the lower left side are the separate push-button starter switch and the glow plug push-button.
First owner replaced the key with a standard HD "marine" on-off switch. It still works fine, and was on the boat when we bought it in '94.
I found a picture of it at one of many 'net vendor sites.
Best,
Loren

Attachments

• u248424.jpg
    u248424.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 150

WhiteNoise

Member III
port tack starting

I had a similar issue on my 30+. Eventually it wouldn't start all together. My issue ended up being the wire running to the starter solenoid. I suspect on port tack the motor would shift to port and move the wire enough the improve it's contact.

I would start by troubleshooting with a volt meter. I suspect power comes from the start position terminal when the key is in the on position to the glow plug (switch), and then to the start switch (button). Then from there to the solenoid. This is all of course if it stops working which, if it only happens on port tack, you will have to do while someone else is sailing.

If it is working but you want to be more proactive, I would check or redo the connections going to the starter (power and ground) and solenoid.

Hope that helps.

Shadowfax

Member III
I'd suspect loose or corroded wire connections somewhere in the primary circuit. Check the ground wire mounted on the engine block. Also, check the new key switch. On mine there is a up and down to its placement. If like mine, look at the back of the switch; there should be a hole in the housing. This hole goes down and allows water that might get into the switch via the key hole to weep out. I installed a new switch once without knowing the function of this hole once and it caused the problem you described.

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Ralph - I would get a Cole Hersee switch such as on page 424 of the West Marine catalog (the catalog is available on line). The brass switches will fit in the panel, the plastic switches next to them will work, but may require a little filing. Don't get less than a 10 amp rating. Pick the switch based on what you want it to do (off-on, glow plugs, and/or start).

If you have the same Aqua Signal bow lamp as mine, see picture, then the lamp is A-S #90400200, Ancor # 529333, or WM #175203.

Both items should be available from West Marine or any chandlery.

Attachments

• Aqua Signal 100014.gif
    Aqua Signal 100014.gif
    118.1 KB · Views: 53