30-1 underbody

Seth

Sustaining Partner
AArrrGGHHHH!!

:oops: Martin, PLEASE don't be offended! None of my terminology was meant to be denigrating in any way-and by "homebuilt" all I meant was what is true-it was built not by a major yard or builder, but at "home"..None of this would suggest that any project Bruce was involved in would be, or even could be something less than first class....

Also-the reason I was asking for details is that all I have to go on is this one shot-and at a quick glance, you must admit there is a STRONG family resemblance to the 31-maybe my look was a bit too quick (I could tell it did not have a wheel and the cabin was not that of the 36C), but still it would take some double checking for someone who sees at first glance a boat very much like the 31. There is very little in that shot with perpective for the difference between 31 and 21 feet.....Especially when we had no idea what size the boat was--Of course, I DO see that there is no doghouse-just to show I am not completely unobservant, now that you have me mentally "adjusted" to this LOA-the boat also has a VERY strong resemblance to the old Crocker Sloop/Cutters, and in fact, I always felt the 36C/31C was kind of a "tip of the hat" or a nod to those designs-which were very like the BK boats-traditional looking above the WL, yet very modern underneath. The Crocker boats performed far beyond what their size and appearance would suggest-because of the underbody..

It does not matter what came first-all are pretty boats-I am sorry if my choce of words was offensive-it was never meant to be-I just wanted some details-I would love to see the underbody profile on the FP!!!

Respectfully,
S

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
That profile looks kinda like...

The FP is indeed a great looking boat! I wonder if the overall design look was influenced by the classic Crocker Stone Horse?
I found this image on the Edey and Duff web site. I actually saw one of these under sail in Puget Sound in the late 70's.

Loren in PDX

Attachments

• StoneHorse.JPG
    StoneHorse.JPG
    35.6 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Relax Big Daddy

Seth,
Nothing you wrote offended me in the least. I just wanted to
point out that the FP does not bear that much resemblence
to an Ericson 31 in my humble opinion. In fact if you are going
to draw any parallels, it would be the E36C. I believe both were
designed around the same time. The FP has a raised deck so you
don't bonk your head when sitting in the cabin. This raised portion
only extends as far forward as it has to. From that point on she
has bulwarks on deck that extend to the bow. If you look carefully
at my photo, you can see where this break occurs. This is similar
to the E36C. Moreover, she has a heart shaped transom, elliptical
ports in the sheer stripe, as well as a clipper bow with a sprit.

Martin

Seth

Sustaining Partner
No worries

Gotcha-Yes-I see I wrote that backwards-of course I see the cabin profile more closely resembles the 36C, but it is clear this was a smaller boat. To climb off the ceiling-all I meant to say is that it still has the strong family resemblance, and at a very quick glance (by someone who is not as attuned to the Independence series) it seemed similar-and I still think it has the family DNA. I do think the Stone Horse (again just from this one shot) is very similar.

But the point was to send "props": nice looking boat, would love to see the underbody.

As a sort of "King freakazoid", and as a Terrorist alumnus, with some time on Hawkeye, and of course the East Coasters Cadre and Madcap-so I may have a finer eye for these types rather than the traditional ones. I

"Often wrong, but means well"
Anyway, peace out-thanks!