35 mk3 keel modified

milianman

I'm new to this forum.
I'm looking at a Ericson 35-3 located in Fort Lauderdale Florida in very good condition but the Keel has been modified to 5.2 from 6.6 with bullet like keel with Bruce King blessing so they say,which I like but I'm worried that the rudder my be the same length as the Keel and have the rudder unprotected if grounding.this was done back in 2006 and I was wondering if anybody was familiar with it and if has been discussed here before
Does anybody know the draft for the rudder ?
The boat is currently listed in yachtworld.
Tank your.

markvone

Sustaining Member
Typically, the factory shoal keel was a foot shorter and a thicker foil section than the deep keep version. The rudders were the same. The 35-3 deep keel was 6'2" I believe (but not 6'6"). If your shortened keel is 5'2", than you should have the same clearance as the factory shoal keel model. If I recall correctly, my shoal E26 rudder was a few inches short of the keel and I never had any worries (or actual) rudder damage.

Mark

milianman

Thanks Mark,Christian. but the ad in yachtworld says 6.6' draff and I read somewhere that a high performance Keel was made. workhttp://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1990/Ericson-35-Mark-III-2924340/Fort-Lauderdale/FL/United-States#.V2vjoHTD_qD

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
[FONT=&quot]The keel draft was 6' 6''. In 2006, the previous owner went back to the original naval architect, Bruce King. Mars Metals in Ontario fabricated the new bulb to King's specifications, and Johanson Boatworks in Rockland, Maine installed it. The draft has been reduced to 5' 2''.

Shoal draft in shallow bays and estuaries is important for remaining sane, and a professional Mars modification sounds fine by me. I have kedged off too many mud banks in the Chesapeake, and a few in Biscayne Bay, not to imagine what life with a 6' keel would be like there.

This is a very late model Ericson. Pictures show a boat well maintained with almost new sails at a pretty low asking price.

[/FONT]

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Keel pondering

Thanks Mark,Christian. but the ad in yachtworld says 6.6' draff and I read somewhere that a high performance Keel was made. workhttp://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1990/Ericson-35-Mark-III-2924340/Fort-Lauderdale/FL/United-States#.V2vjoHTD_qD

I do not believe that 6'6" stated original draft figure either. Remotely Possible, but in 1990 EY was getting ready to sell assets and close doors, so the chance of adding a custom keel casting would seem rather remote.

Not saying it wasn't so, but note that this and all brokerage ads have the same disclaimer at the bottom of the page:
DISCLAIMER:
The Company offers the details of this vessel in good faith but cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information nor warrant the condition of the vessel. A buyer should instruct his agents, or his surveyors, to investigate such details as the buyer desires validated. This vessel is offered subject to prior sale, price change, or withdrawal without notice.

Giving the broker the benefit of the doubt, they rely on the seller for information, and even their brokerage agreement likely will reflect that. i.e. all descriptive liability goes back to the seller.

OTOH, Mars Metals has a good rep for their shoal draft conversions.
(If I had a bundle of spare $$, I would have our draft reduced to 5' this way. Six feet of draft has put us on the mud more than once... )

:)

Regards,
Loren

markvone

Sustaining Member
Here's a link to the Sailboat Data site stating 6.17' for the deep draft.

http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=1979

The good news is that the shoal draft model was only 5' so I doubt you are going to have issues with the rudder getting damaged with your 5'2" keel depth. I agree with Christian that a Mars Metal bulb is as good as the factory shoal option and a benefit for anyone sailing in shallow venues. From the pictures from the listing, the rudder does look close to the draft of the keel. My E26 looked like this with the shoal keel and I never had any problems.

I also agree with Loren, all the broker's information should be looked upon skeptically. I seriously doubt he verified anything about the boat for a listing in this price range. All the original owner info sounds good in a listing but needs to be verified if its important to you.

Mark

Last edited:

milianman

Thank you guys, I feel better after reading you comments
And went ahead and put a deposit and set up a date for the survey I still want to take a look at the Keel and the rudder if everything goes well I'll be the proud owner of a beautiful e35. Christian I just ordered your book looking forward to reading it

Solo

Solo
I'm new to this forum.
I'm looking at a Ericson 35-3 located in Fort Lauderdale Florida in very good condition but the Keel has been modified to 5.2 from 6.6 with bullet like keel with Bruce King blessing so they say,which I like but I'm worried that the rudder my be the same length as the Keel and have the rudder unprotected if grounding.this was done back in 2006 and I was wondering if anybody was familiar with it and if has been discussed here before
Does anybody know the draft for the rudder ?
The boat is currently listed in yachtworld.
Tank your.

I'm new to the group, and looking for a good boat as well. As I read through the thread, the one you're looking at sure looks like a winner. Did you purchase her?

Ed

milianman

Ed. yes I made the purchase the survey went fine, yes need to replace the Cutlass bearing the inverter charger and I'm working on a anchor windlass for now. Love the Boat she sail beautiful. Good luck with your boat hunting if I can be of any help let me know.
Orlando

Solo

Solo
Ed. yes I made the purchase the survey went fine, yes need to replace the Cutlass bearing the inverter charger and I'm working on a anchor windlass for now. Love the Boat she sail beautiful. Good luck with your boat hunting if I can be of any help let me know.
Orlando

Orlando - congratulations, that is one beautiful vessel! I'm on the road looking at a few over the next two weeks. The really clean ones are taking some time to find.

Ed