38-200 Refrigeration Installation Options

Bob Robertson

Member III
I've been contemplating installing a DC refrigeration system to our boat for the last few years. Previously, I decided on the Frigoboat system (Thank's Loren). I'm happy with that decision. I even bought the keel cooler last year ago, but I didn't get around to installing it. I had a few to many options as far as where to place the compressor, keel cooler, etc.

I am really serious this year, and I am hoping that someone would be willing to share their knowledge of their system on their 38-200.

Thanks in advance,

Bob

1987 38-200
"Anticipation"

wurzner

Member III
I can't speak to your specifics since I'm not sure of the brand or installation requirements. My 38-200 has a norcold and the hardware is under the forward-port side bench forward of the mast. Our boat has the engine under the galley sink, so that may change things a bit. It works great and keeps the beer nice and cold.

Sorry if this doesn't help you, but that is how it is set up on our boat.

regards
shaun

Bob Robertson

Member III
Hi Shaun,
Thanks! That's exactly the kind of information I am looking for. It's one of the options I am considering. Is the forward port side bench vented on your boat?

Thanks,
Bob

wurzner

Member III
Bob,

Yes, there are two teak covered vents to provide adequate ventilation and cooling. I really like the performance of the Norcold, it cools the beer off really quickly and is reasonably priced. I know it is not a robust as the other units you mentioned and if I were doing extended cruising, I would probably go with another system. That is hard call though since I think a whole new system costs under 700 and even if it lasts a few years of continous use in the tropics, they are really easy to install and you could have one shipped anywhere very easily. For my use, the Norcold is fantastic but I haven't used the other models.

Hope this helps

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
I have an Adler Barbour Cold Machine mounted on a shelf in the strbd cocpit locker. The unit works great and appears original. If and when it goes I will get a new Adler Barbour and probably go with the keel cooler instead of air cooled compressor.

u079721

Contributing Partner
We had a Norcold unit also mounted on the shelf in the cockpit lazarette. Makes for a LONG run for the tubing to get to the icebox though. Seemed to work fine, but if you motor as much as we did while cruising I sure wondered about the efficiency of the unit, since it got pretty darn warm inside that lararette next to the engine. Which of course wouldn't be a concern with a water cooled design.

Bob Robertson

Member III
Hi Ted and Steve,

My preference would be to mount the compressor in the starboard cockpit locker or even in the aft locker on the port side, but I haven't worked out how to route the tubing to the icebox. I'd prefer not to open up the cabin sole.

Could you tell me how the tubing is routed to the icebox on your boats?

Thanks,
Bob

u079721

Contributing Partner
Bob Robertson said:
Hi Ted and Steve,

My preference would be to mount the compressor in the starboard cockpit locker or even in the aft locker on the port side, but I haven't worked out how to route the tubing to the icebox. I'd prefer not to open up the cabin sole.

Could you tell me how the tubing is routed to the icebox on your boats?

Thanks,
Bob

My Norcold compressor is mounted near the forward end of the shelf in the lazarette on starboard. The tubes go forward to the aft edge of the transverse shelf in the lazarette, inboard to the bulkhead, down to by where the water lift muffler is located, across the area where the prop shaft is located, and then run outboard just forward of the fuel tank under the bunk in the aft cabin. They then turn and go forward underneath the lower locker that is inboard of the hanging locker in the aft cabin, under the stove, and forward to the ice box. I never measured the run, but it's long. Lots of holes in bulkheads, but no holes in the cabin sole.

Bob Robertson

Member III
Thanks Steve, I understand. That's really helpful.

When they went under the stove and into the icebox, did they punch into the icebox at the bottom of the icebox or go up along the stove and into the icebox?

Thanks,
Bob

u079721

Contributing Partner
Bob Robertson said:
Thanks Steve, I understand. That's really helpful.

When they went under the stove and into the icebox, did they punch into the icebox at the bottom of the icebox or go up along the stove and into the icebox?

Thanks,
Bob

They pretty much went past the stove and entered the box at near the bottom at the aft edge. Which left the tubes exposed along the inside of the box. I used to worry about a box of ice crushing the tubes in a seaway, so I protected the tubes on the inside with a strip of aluminum box channel.

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Mine is routed exactly as mentioned above. There is some corrosion on the copper lines where they pass near the stuffing box. I guess the box must have been leaking and sprayed seawater on the lines at some point. If and when they go I will not be looking forward to that repair...

Bob Robertson

Member III
Thanks guys.

This is great. You have been most helpful. I actually think I'm ready.

Well, I think I am anyway. We'll see.

Thanks so much.
Bob