40 or 60 psi ?

Dave N

Member III
Time to replace the cabin water pressure pump. I was going to get a 60 psi pump. The Jabsco tech says 40 is plenty. Any thoughts?

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
If your system is put together with soft hoses, barbed fittings, and hose clamps, go with 40 psi. If you've got rigid tubing and high-pressure fittings, 60 may be possible but probably not needed.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Have you got an in-line accumulator?

They really work well to reduce cycling and the noise of the motor.

Never noticed until mine quit a few weeks ago. Dunno what's to go wrong, but something did.

I keep putting off crawling in there undr the sink, it's the worst place to work on the E38.

Last edited:

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Possibly the air leaked out and it's full of water. Just to state the obvious, pressure tanks work by compressing a blanket of air, since water is incompressible. Sometimes there is a schrader valve so that you can pump some air in with a bicycle pump. And sometimes those valves corrode.

Dave N

Member III
Have you got an in-line accumulator?

They really work well to reduce cycling and the noise of the motor.

Never noticed until mine quit a few weeks ago. Dunno what's to go wrong, but something did.

I keep putting off crawling in there undr the sink, it's the worst place to work on the E38.

Yes we have an accumulator. Many retailers, ie west marine and defender, only sell the 60 psi unit which lead me to second guess Jabsco tech's recommendation of the 40psi. BTW, best price, no tax and free shipping, Hodgeson Marine.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Not sure what psi our system pump is, but seem to recall that it is around 40. We have an accumulator and it does indeed reduce the run time.
When shopping for a new pump, do not forget to check Camping World.

CTOlsen

Member III
40 PSI here

We’re running a standard West Marine freshwater pump at 45 PSIG. Have had no problems, plenty of water pressure. I’d be concerned about springing leaks increasing to 60 PSIG.