• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

A 32 or 35 beauty outside MDR on 4-23-2005 ?

Sven

Seglare
It isn't a very good shot of her, she looked much better close up on port tack just south of Malibu Beach.

I don't know if she's a 32 or a 35 but she sure was pretty as she played among occasional white caps.

-Sven

Attachments

• Beauty.jpg
    Beauty.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 189

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Shake it out!

Doesn't look like enough wind to have that Jib rolled up. Like to see her under full sail. Yes she is pretty, as are all Ericsons! :egrin:

Seth

Sustaining Partner
35, 35, 35

Definitely a 35-as noted, you can tell by the transom. As they are broad reaching the appearance of the breeze is deceiving. By the look of "pressurre" in the main, it looks like an easy 18-20 kts. Plenty to roll some jib in!

Of course, with a new, bigger, deeper rudder, she would be even happier! 32's and 35-2's in particular could really use this mod-especially if they do much reaching and running in big breeze. This really transforms the boat!

Sail safe, Sven-
BTW-did you know Charlie Segal? I did-great guy and a huge loss to our community...A lesson about being careful-even when just outside the jetty-it happens to the best of us if we are not careful..
Wear your harness!!
Seth

windjunkee

Member III
We were out on Santa Monica Bay on 4/23 and sailed from King Harbor down to MdR and back (though that is not a shot of our boat). Voice of Reason is a 32'. In any case, we were flying a 165 out front and held well ... never saw anything above 15 knots all afternoon.

Nice to see other Ericsons out on the water.

Voice of Reason 32-2 Hull #134

Sven

Seglare
windjunkee said:
We were out on Santa Monica Bay on 4/23 and sailed from King Harbor down to MdR and back (though that is not a shot of our boat). Voice of Reason is a 32'. In any case, we were flying a 165 out front and held well ... never saw anything above 15 knots all afternoon.

Nice to see other Ericsons out on the water.

Voice of Reason 32-2 Hull #134

Up around Malibu (where we both were earlier) the wind was good enough for occasional whitecaps and some of the gusts totally overpowered our rudder. I should have taken in a reef but we just fell off instead and headed south. It was definitely fun. I suspect that the 35 furled the jib and forgot to let it back out.

BTW, going down the MDR channel wing on wing we did a steady 5 kts :)

-Sven

Davis Modlin

Inactive Member
White caps start at around 13-15kts. I don't see any in the picture so I wouldn't say it was blowing anything over that at the time that the pic was taken. I would have had all the sail out in that, But not all people like to drive their boats to their potential. Some like a more leasurely sail.

Davis
E29
Holy Guacamole :egrin:

Seth

Sustaining Partner
OK, OK-I was wrong, but here's one for you!

OK! Obviously those who were out that day know better than I do-the only point I wanted to make is that there are other cues to gauge winspeed in photos.

The "look" of the sails, and heel can give an indication(only a guess, obviously), and FWIW, although whitecaps DO generally appear in the 13-15 range (somewhat less in cold weather of course), and salinity can make a difference as well- a biggie is that when you are looking "downwind" at the water (as in the photo) you are looking at the backsides of the waves, and small whitecaps are harder to see. Put differently, it always "looks" windier when looking "upwind"..
In the winter you will often see whitecaps in 10-11 knots..Remember that in 30*F, 10 knots is a lot more wind than 10 kts is when the temp. is 80* F. You will find that when it is cold you need to reduce sail earlier than when it is warm!! Food for thought, eh?

But of course, "them that was thar" know best what was really going on!

Cheers to all!

Seth

Davis Modlin

Inactive Member
Discussion aside, It looks like it was a great day for sailing. (although it is always fun debating this stuff. Ha Ha)

Davis
e29
Holy Guacamole

Sven

Seglare
Seth, you may not be wrong at all in this case.

Seth said:
But of course, "them that was thar" know best what was really going on!

Right, and as apparently the only person here who was further up north with the E35 a while before I took the picture I would appear to be the only one here who can state what the conditions were. Up north it was indeed gusty, gusty enough to create occasional whitecaps (takes _more_ wind than susained whitecaps). A prudent sailor up there would have been wise to reef (I didn't, I just fell off and headed south). A prudent sailor may also have kept the jib furled when going south because it was _gusty_ and he was playing (upwind, downwind), or the skipper may just have forgotten to unfurl.

A nice day, a beautiful boat, and an apparently prudent skipper.

-Sven