A Sailing Family at the Dawn of Multihulls

paul culver

Member III
Standard or Super 8mm?
As a cohort of that "certain time" your video brought back memories for me. Thanks Christian.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
All Super 8. Twenty years ago I reedited the film on my Elmo, then projected it, videoed the screen, then used pass-through to digitize from the analog tape. Flicker was a problem solved by matching frame rates, and the whole transfer took a lot of experimentation. I had previously paid to digitize old film on a sprocketless machine, which came out very bad indeed ("sir, you didn't pay for a technician to color time it"--and this was in Hollywood, mind you). I'm sure digitizing is easier and cheaper today.

paul culver

Member III
When I had a local media transfer shop do some digitizing for me I was amazed to see the array of old equipment they had on hand. It was like a museum. I saw everything but an Edison wax cylinder phonograph and a wire magnetic recorder. Maybe I missed that shelf. It must be quite a challenge to keep everything functional as parts become scarce to nonexistent.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
One trick for all of us with old home video--don't throw away the obsolete camera it was shot on. The device may be crucial to the digitizing process.