A4 Question

jkm

Member III
i'm reviewing some of the many projects that have gone uncompleted or dealt with for years.

Attached is a photo of part of my exhaust lift and the shift arm that touches it. Question: Can I cut this 'rod' back about a 1/2" with no consequence.

Howard did you have this problem?

John

Attachments

• ericson 006.jpg
    ericson 006.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 57

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
I cut it off twice and it's still to short

My guess would be that the only problem would be having enough room to install a shift lever if you install the engine in your next boat. This will be a solid shaft and take a little effort to cut. A cutoff disk in an angle grinder might just do the trick if you keep it away from the hull and the other stuff in the area.

That will be $00000.02 please

wurzner

Member III
Why not move the the water list muffler a bit since it was a late arrival to the scene and the more/shift mechanism is in its natural position?

My former 32-2 had the hoses secured, but not the muffler. I'm not saying this is good or bad, but I never had any issues and I'm sure I heeled that boat over more than most people would want to experiance with no adverse effects.

regards
shaun

windjunkee

Member III
Shaun, you're just bragging now (with the heeling over comment. Question, is it still called 'heeling' when your spreaders touch the water? just wondering)
I have to agree though. I would move the muffler before I'd try to cut that big dog.

Jim McCone
Voice of Reason E-32-2 Hull #134
Redondo Beach, CA

jkm

Member III
Thanks all.

I'll go back down today and see what it might take to move "the late arrival", but I tend to lean towards Randy's approach and use my grinder and cut off a small piece of it.

I'll use a welding blanket if cut it off or I'll melt the hull!!!!

John

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
Is there room for a rubber cap over the shaft to isolate the muffler? The cutting will not hurt anything but will be a mess.

I will cut your shifter if you cut my "GAS " tank for removal, 15" tank 12" opening. You could skin a hand, I could die making my cut.

jkm

Member III
Randy

As I was checking out my through hulls I looked at my tank, which is original, and asked myself the same question. "How the..... would I do that!"

Don't forget to update your will

John

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
With friends like you...............

Check you filler hose where it connects to the tank. The filler hose was cut at the top of the tank neck. I guess form the junk in the locker banging on it for 28 years. If my tank had ever been full it would have poured gas out any time the boat heeled to port