Access in Diesel Tank

larossa

Member II
Hello all,

I would like to get access inside my fuel tank for cleaning and other preventative maintenance. I've been wondering if it would be possible to use a plastic Bomar access port. It doesn't appear like the diesel fuel would affect the plastic. Has anyone ever tried this before and if so been successful? If not, would anyone have any other suggestions for an access port?

Thanks,

Brian

E31C

Glyn Judson

Tank access plate.

Brian, The Independence came with a plastic access plate that almost immediately reacted to the diesel. By the time I'd gotten our boat, the cracks had been half- arse filled with Permatex or something similar, generally an ungodly mess. I found the identical deck plate on the shelf at my local West Marine and swapped them out. It wasn't long, maybe two years maximum, that the new plate was developing cracks. I ended up contacting Bomar who cast an almag plate of a slightly larger diameter than the plastic one. I enlarged the hole and popped the new plate in place and haven't looked back since. So save your time and money installing a plastic one and look around for one such as Loren or I recommend. I hate buying things twice even if the first alternative is more expensive. I'll send you an image of my plate back channel. Glyn

Glyn Judson

More plastic plate info.

Brian,

I failed to include in my last email to the list that before having Bomar make the alloy plate for me (they cast it for me, I guess a practice to keep inventory at a minimum), I spoke with a Bomar tech rep about the two plastic ones on our boat that cracked. He immediately responded by saying that they never were intended for such a use and that diesel will indeed cause them to crack. Also, I've been on dozens of E31's and have noted that a majority of the Independence models have had that same plastic plate installed. Glyn

larossa

Member II
Access to Diesel Fuel Tank

Gentlemen,

Thanks for the great and informative information. I will seek out an access port out of aluminum. I may just end up making one myself.

Again thanks,

Brian