Adding an oil pressure gauge

Timsb

Member II
I have decided to replace the gauges in my '87 32-3 and upgrade the wiring. Previously none of the gauges worked except the temperature gauge. I am replacing the cracked panel as well. I found a new panel, with splash guard, reasonably priced at Moyer Marine. It's a little bigger than the existing one, so I'll need to enlarge the opening to fit it. Now that I have a bigger panel, I 'm thinking why not add a couple of new gauges. So in addition to Tach, Temp and Volts, I would like to add oil pressure and fuel. My fuel gauge is a little inaccurate and difficult to access. I have read through the different forums and Christian's great blog on gauge replacement and wiring upgrades, so I will be doing those improvements as well.

My question is will I need to add an oil pressure sender? I have a warning light and buzzer, I always thought the warning was for temp but most of the discussion in the different forums say it's oil. I haven't traced the circuit yet to see but, if it is oil, will the gauge work properly off the existing sender. Or do I need to add a new one? And, if I add a new one will the light/buzzer still work? And second, does anyone have a recommendation for fuel sender. Someone, somewhere recommended Centroid. It seems like a good solution since the lever/float types may take a beating from the rocking and rolling - although my existing one has survived 28 years.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Of my boat projects this is the one that provides the most frequent rewards. Really worth the effort.

I agree about the difficult factory location of the fuel gauge. I have my Hobbs (hour) meter in that hole at present, since I tossed my fuel gauge entirely.

Timsb

Member II
Currently, my fuel gauge is on the top of the tank, in the quarter berth, under a cushion and usually a pile of stuff. My new tach does have an hour meter built in so I guess that could work -figure 1/2 gallon per hour.

mkollerjr

Member III
Blogs Author
I have a Yanmar 3HM that I'm currently cleaning up the control panel for (replacing the cracked plastic face, replacing the light switch, removing a never used blower, cleaning up the wire). The panel has a tach, buzzer, ignition, idiot lights for charge, oil pressure, and temperature, and a switch to check the lights or illuminate the tach. The PO had a temperature and pressure gauge installed on the fiberglass cover in the locker...

IMG_1803.jpgIMG_1805.jpgIMG_1802.jpg

I'm not sure how the Universal shop manual is, but the Yanmar manual is excellent, with easy to read and accurate diagrams.
IMAG4784.jpg

I have a fuel gauge in the same location of yours on the tank. At the rate these things burn fuel, I'm not sure adding the complexity of a remote fuel gauge in the cockpit so that you can always see the fuel level is worth it. I've also heard they are not that accurate anyways...

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author

MMLOGAN

Member III
Oil sender

Many moons ago I installed an oil gauge and sender on a Hunter with a Yanmar. So that I did not interfere with the OEM wiring/warning light/buzzer I removed the existing sender, found a tee fitting of the same thread and installed the old sender and the new sender on the female end of the new tee. This allowed the original sender to function in the stock Yanmar panel along with the new oil pressure gauge.

Great addition to any engine.

Last edited:

Timsb

Member II
Thanks Mark and Matt. You confirmed what I thought. After a little more research last night I now know that the warning light works off of a switch and the gauge works off a sender. It is possible to have the sender do both but that would involve hours more research and some trips to radio shack for relays, resistors and who knows what. I'll find a tee. I don't want to lose the alarm.

hodo

Member III
A suggestiion from an old guy, Make sure the new guages match up to the original senders/ sensors. Different brands operate off different resistances. You may want alarms on both oil and temp.
Have fun, Don't forget the the proper liquid to toast a job well done!
Harold, Mischief :devil: Maker

Timsb

Member II
Yes, I am going with Faria gauges, they give me the specs for the senders. I see now that there are combination switch/sensors available. I may go that route. The temp is probably already a combo - I have to look at the circuit. I don't want to lose the warning buzzer, it doesn't take long to ruin an engine starved of coolant or oil. I'll try to remember the toast comes after the job too.

Last edited:

Maine Sail

Member III
Just be aware that many of the tappings Yanmar blocks are JIS/BSPT thread not NPT so you will likely need an adapter from JIS/BSPT to NPT..

Akavishon

Member III
Timsb - did you end up installing a combo switch/sensor? Can you please share the vendor/part# of the stuff you used?
I too have Faria gauges, so if it works for you chances are it'll work for me as well.

Thanks!

Yes, I am going with Faria gauges, they give me the specs for the senders. I see now that there are combination switch/sensors available. I may go that route. The temp is probably already a combo - I have to look at the circuit. I don't want to lose the warning buzzer, it doesn't take long to ruin an engine starved of coolant or oil. I'll try to remember the toast comes after the job too.