Adler Barbour Disconnecting lines

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
In my project to re-plumb my head I want to remove and clean the holding tank. I know fun job huh? In order to remove the tank I need to remove a small shelf in my cockpit locker that the compressor for the fridge sits on. Looks to me like they have special fittings that can be disconnected on the freon lines that run to and from the fridge itself. I am guessing I can disconnect those lines and remove the unit but I will need to recharge the unit after I reconnect the lines right? I thought I read somewhere about the lines being special and perhaps you could get away without the recharge but I am guessing no. Anyone who has installed one of these units could tell me what I need to worry about here.

Thanks,

Guy Stevens

Maybe

The Adler Barbor units are critically charged, they actualy overcharge the units a little when they leave the factory to allow for the bit of escape that happens when the Quick conects are tightened up.

You might be able to get away with it. However remember that hermatic compressors are cooled by the suction side return of cool gas comming back into them.

Disconnect the quick connects as quickly as possible so that you loose the least amount of refigerant. The same when putting them back together. How old is the unit, and what is the refigerant listed on the skid?

Try it, if it gets and stays cool after the change out, you are within spec, if it doesn't then don't run it as you will heat the compressor up, rather get someone to charge it again for you. R-12 is running about $50.00 for 12 oz right now. 134A about $10.00 per pound.

Guy Stevens
Drop a note if you have specific questions.

Steve

Member III
Well.. depends

AB units have self-sealing connections designed to trap the Freon in both directions with only a small escape, and may not need a recharge when reconnected. However if the procedure is not done correctly or the valve is old, you may leak. Either way, not all is lost; a later pruge/re-charge is not difficult by a licensed professional. My AB OEM manual has good instructions on this -as it is very important you support, use and turn the correct wrench(s) the right way on the fittings with the correct force. Additionally the connections need protection after separation from contaminates, such as using the original heavy plugs. My manual is on the boat and I'm traveling this week, so unless someone scans before I get a chance to put my hand on it I'll see what i can do late next week. AB is now WAECO, not sure if the older manuals are available from them.

Good luck,
Steve e35-3