Advice Needed--1986 Ericson 35-3

sailorman

Member II
ALL 35-3 owners...I am interested in a 1986 Ericson 35-3 what structural concerns should I be aware of... if any ?

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
I'll take a first crack at this. This is a pretty broad question - and much the information you're seeking depends on your experience level with older sailboats. How much background in older boats do you have?

With a vintage production boat, the issues are mostly typical for that age. You can start with the rigging, both if it's original to the boat, and if not when it was replaced and with what. You would want to check the penetrations of the deck by the for leakage and the deck itself for moisture. You'll want to run the chain plates down to their anchorages to check their condition. Also look at the bulkheads and their attachment there.

E35-3s typically have some moisture in their coach house roofs because the dorade vent forward of the mast. In a boat of that vintage you'll commonly find leaks originating at box (most owners close up the center compartment with teak or other). The presence of moisture is in itself not necessarily a deal killer (it all depends). Do some searches on deck moisture and you'll find lots of threads on the topic. The anchor locker has a similar condition and is typically rebuilt by this point.

Also - have you had a chance to look at some of the similar threads on E35-3s and E38s, and have you reviewed any of the E35 documents in the archive?

I'm going to move this thread to the Design & Function forum as that is typically where these types of questions are found.

//sse

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Given the rather precise model described by the OP, perhaps it will help if a link were provided. Sometimes owners of sister ships will spot relevant features to focus on, both good and bad.
That's if it is listed on line.

nquigley

Sustaining Member
ALL 35-3 owners...I am interested in a 1986 Ericson 35-3 what structural concerns should I be aware of... if any ?
If there are other mid-late 1980s Ericsons from 32' to 38' for sale in your area, you might go and look at them too for comparison of condition and noticeable/declared issues, then look at those areas on the 35-3 you're interested in.

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
what structural concerns should I be aware of
I just looked at some of your other posts and realized that you a E35-2 owner? This makes your question above even more curious - can you elaborate on what it is you are seeking as far as info? Are you interested in moving to a E35-3?

sailorman

Member II
Sold my 35-2 after 10 years and many upgrades. Was browsing YW and came across 35-3 with a price drop of $5000 in June and to date still available at $19900. Is this a good price ? Of course pending a survey. Just curious !

Sailorman
Former owner E35-2
Broke but Afloat
Atomic 4

Last edited:

1911tex

Sustaining Member
Sold my 35-2 after 10 years and many upgrades. Was browsing YW and came across 35-3 with a price drop of $5000 in June and to date still available at $19900. Is this a good price ? Of course pending a survey. Just curious !

Sailorman
Former owner E35-2
Broke but Afloat
Atomic 4
Sailorman: Absolutely impossible to answer your question as you put it.
I bought my '85 35-3 a couple of years ago for $16k ...always fresh water boat....over that time put in another $16k and likely 1000 anal hours of my own and family labor plus tons of advice from this terrific forum. This does not include ongoing normal, continuous maintenance, insurance and marina expenses. I knew fully well what I was getting into. Toujours is now where I am very happy, inside and out. All I can say is I knew what I was getting into and set my goals realistically. At my advanced age, I just hope I can keep it up.