An unfortunate creaking from helm

LeifThor

Member III
So my 1972 E35-2 is now getting off an unfortunate creaking that appears to be becoming from either the Rutter or the wheelhouse.

I have an engine stethoscope that I have spent literally hours listening to all over both areas well under motor and or sail, and if I had to make a guess it would be that the bearings in the rudder might be going out now.

The quietest I’ve been able to get it to be is without the auto pilot on, the motor not on, under sale, and the Helm fixed by just screwing it tight.

I thought it might be the joints holding the auto pilot, but it doesn’t seem to matter much whether the auto pilot is on or not.

so here’s one question I have, can I replace the rudder bearing with the boat in the water?

Attachments

• IMG_3655.jpeg
    IMG_3655.jpeg
    239 KB · Views: 11

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
If you do not mind a stupid question from here in the cheap seats: Are you sure that your year/model Ericson has bearings? I ask because our '88 boat has the rudder (not rutter, altho there is a bad pun there somewhere) shaft encased in an frp tube with solid shims of some sort.
After years of ignoring it we finally got with the program and shot a LOT of grease into all the zerk fittings. That smoothed out the turning and reduced the friction some (well duh). Quite a few other owners have reported here that they found their rudder shaft was starved for grease.

Also, are the bolts holding the steering pedestal base Tight?? And the bolts holding the rudder head fitting on the cockpit sole?
Your boat looks terrific, also! :egrin:

Last edited:

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Our 1984 E30+ will make a strange noise if I forget to put it in reverse while under sail. It's due to the propeller turning, even though it's a folding propeller, but if I'm going fast it still turns, making a strange noise. But maybe that's a different issue from what you describe. Just a thought...
Frank

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Do you have a fitting like this on the cockpit floor?

rudder post.jpg

The four phillips head machine screws have nuts hidden under the deck. They can become loose, or fall off.

If that happens, the top of the rudder post bangs around, with no apparent visual evidence. Loose nuts on that fitting are a common issue, and if that's it, tightening them solves all.

alcodiesel

Bill McLean
I thought rutter was a Dutch term for a navigating device- a rudder. Not quite:

A rutter is a mariner's handbook of written sailing directions. Before the advent of nautical charts, rutters were the primary store of geographic information for maritime navigation.