Analog vs Digital Meters

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Our original analog panel volt meter appears to have died yesterday...
Oh Well, it's been flakey for some time now.
:rolleyes:
I note that the replacements all seem designed fit the same round panel cutout. Good news.
Also, the way Ericson spec'd out the panel, the meter is only powered when the spring loaded toggle switch is pressed to read bank one or bank two. Perhaps this would eliminate changing to a digi model... I donno...

Interesting thing is that the analog types, while not nearly as precisely informative, even in the expanded scale versions, do not need "display" power.
OTOH, the digital one I looked at at the Blue Seas site specifies that "minimum power consumption" is .6 watt.
http://bluesea.com/category/6/23/products/8235

I realize that the lighted display needs power, but as nice as it would be to read the output in two decimals, I got to wondering how this potential power drain accrues. Their info does say it has its "Manual sleep mode blanks display for power conservation."

So, is the drain when it's in sleep mode... miniscule? Zero?

Thanks,
Loren
(back in Luddite mode again)
:nerd:

Last edited:

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Last time I checked a digital meter was $100+. For that kind of coin I would just step up to a Link or Victron basic monitor that will tell you voltage and much, much more. RT

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
I have looked closely at the SmartGauge product. http://www.smartgauge.co.uk/ Its quite interesting as is the info on their website. They don't really get into how it works, but I'm guessing that is proprietary. I was quoted 136.08 British Pounds, shipped to my door here in RI, USA. Thats pretty much the same money as a Link or Victron. SmartGauges main point is that it doesn't get out of sync with your batteries like a regular monitor eventually will. Some people don't really need to know exactly how many amps they are using, just what is left in the bank. RT

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
K.I.S.S. principle invoked

After a little more inspection today it appears that either the SPDT (momentary) switch or the original analog meter has a bad internal connection. With some wire jiggling it works again. Corrosion or a bad connection? We shall see.
More news as it happens....

Note that this meter serves as a simple way to check battery voltage for either bank, with the Link 10 already doing the heavy lifting for our house bank data.
There is no desire or need to make this more complicated than it is, but, having said that... I was just seeking some input on the possibility of perhaps replacing the 21 year old meter with a digital model.
Advice and help is appreciated, as always, though.

Sidebar: that UK product looks authentic and technically interesting. Their technical/descriptive info would be about one third as long if they would boil out all of the "Goodness Golly We are the Greatest thing since Sliced Bread" from their writing and stick to the basic information. :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Loren

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Request withdrawn -- Razor applied!

Today I tested the switch and it's fine. Wiggling the wires for the meter shows some small movement where the push-on connectors go into the plastic back, which seemed suspicious. After all, those lugs probably connect to some tiny solder connections inside the meter body.

Removed the connectors and found green corrosion. So I carefully cleaned them up with some fine sand paper and finished by wiping them with WD40 on a cloth.
Meter seems to work OK now. :)

I should have consulted William of Occam before worrying about which parts to replace. ;)

Loren

Last edited:

Mort Fligelman

Member III
Volt Meter

Loren:

July issue of Sail Magazine.......new twist on old story, but some interesting info......and possible future source of measuring device......

FWIW

Regards