Asymmetrical spinnaker--how to secure the tack?

ChrisS

Member III
I am taking possession of a nice cruising chute for my 32-2 next week. Does anyone have any insight on how to secure the tack line to the bow area? I was thinking of ecuring it to a block where the carabiner is attatched to the bow roller in the photo below. The only problem is that it is right under the roller furler drum.

Another idea would be to cut a hole in the roller a few inches forward of the drum, but I am worried about the load that would then be placed on the roller--the load would almost be lever-like. The roller is thru-bolted with large washers. I was thinking of making a backing plate out of Starboard to help distribute the load on the bow roller.

Am I overlooking any other options?

Attachments

• IMG_1388_1_2.jpg
    IMG_1388_1_2.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 710
  • IMG_1390_2_1.jpg
    IMG_1390_2_1.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 359

rgoff

Member III
On my E27 I secured a small block at the base of one of the pulpit stanchions and ran the tack line through it. I also have roller furling. Although I don't use my asymm that much, I don't remember having any problems with it fouling on the roller.

dc27

have boat, need time
On my E27 I secured a small block at the base of one of the pulpit stanchions and ran the tack line through it. I also have roller furling. Although I don't use my asymm that much, I don't remember having any problems with it fouling on the roller.

would you be willing to post a photograph of your set-up? an asymmetrical is my next project (after the main and the roller furling).

rgoff

Member III
I'm not sure I have a photo on my laptop. I'll have to check. I'm not living around my boat right now.

I really haven't had my asym up that much, but my pulpit stanchion hasn't pulled out of the deck yet (or shown any signs of it). :) IMHO, I think that lightweight of a sail would rip apart before the load on the block got that big.

Nigel Barron

Notorious Iconoclast
You could get a block spliced into a loop of something strong like spectra or an amsteel, and then just loop the block on itself through the fork on your forestay attachment and lead it back that way. Otherwise, unless you really see yourself adjusting the tack height, do the same with a shackle instead of a block.

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
40mm swivel block on a shackle on the end of the anchor roller. Works fine on my 38. Used the hole where the pin goes to fit the shackle. Anchor is secured another way.